Field dress where they lay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coyotes aren’t particularly intimidating, but something about a group of hungry dogs wanting what you have and following in the dark makes my skin crawl.
I had to change a flat in a pasture one time in the dark it sounded like they were 20’ from me definitely an eerie feeling

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a rope around my waist that would be long enough to hang. We got plenty of trees and hard part is carrying one out. I always dressed them where they drop (well I can drag them to a tree) and get it done.
I've never had any issue with hunting the spot again even that week. Deer don't seem to care. Plus now, the wild hogs will have them eat up completly by morning. Skin, bones...everything but the teeth.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last deer I killed I dragged up to the truck, then off about 30 ft away and field dressed it. Left. Came back that afternoon to hunt that evening and the gut pile was gone. There were a few buzzards hanging around I figure they came in fast after I left that morning.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gutted a deer today right where it died. Never known of an issue where a gut pile might deter future deer hunts.

Today within 30 minutes, the pile had been torn apart by turkey vultures. The only thing left was blood and the corn/acorns from the deer's stomach.
I don’t see any pictures or story in the 2021 Deer Chatter/Pic/Excuses thread related to said deer you gutted today. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom