Firewood. What are the Best woods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup... Stihl 084 actually only comes out for large take downs... like the 5ft DBH (diameter at breast height) 100+ yr old Oak we took down last season.

084 power head weights 21lb before adding weight of 5ft bar with .404 chain. quite the handful and weights a ton ... it's the last saw that gets pulled out.

036 pro is one of the best mid-range saws anywhere.
perfect for firewood duties!

got an Stihl 036 without compression release like your pro for sale
with 171 psi for $350 ... been needing to put up a post in classifies.

anyone that's got Osage Orange that needs to be taken down.
let me know...

CY, I like your taste in chainsaws...I only got 3 Stihls myself and nothing with a 5 foot bar..but I bet it does look neat...my favorite I use is an 036 Pro..I can cut a load pretty fast with it.....

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sure wish I had a good source of Osage orange to burn.

My source for it doesn't let me cut... he let's me have whatever's on the ground.

That's why I pray for at least an inch of ice every year.

My source for locust, etc, was excited when he heard that we actually burned wood for heat, and not for looks. If I'll cut it and haul it off his farm, it's mine. He doesn't care if I burn it or sell it... it's a lot less for him to haul to the burn pit. (Of course, as a matter of principle I wouldn't sell it with giving him appropriate compensation.)

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sure must be nice to have a close source of the two best woods to burn in Okla... a pita to cut... but the highest btu value.

in Tulsa... by the time one pays for fuel pulling a trailer near Kansas border for the Osage Orange... starts getting not worth it... especially when giant Oaks are available local.

the few times Osage Orange comes up on Craigslist... it's gone instantly.

My source for it doesn't let me cut... he let's me have whatever's on the ground.

That's why I pray for at least an inch of ice every year.

My source for locust, etc, was excited when he heard that we actually burned wood for heat, and not for looks. If I'll cut it and haul it off his farm, it's mine. He doesn't care if I burn it or sell it... it's a lot less for him to haul to the burn pit. (Of course, as a matter of principle I wouldn't sell it with giving him appropriate compensation.)

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can cut all the Osage Orange I want and it's just across the road from my house. They are clearing off 80 acres and it is pretty well covered with bois d'arc. I can also cut all the black locast I want and it's only about 3 miles away..BUT.. I have actually been driving 33 miles one way just to cut Post Oak..I guess it's what ever we have we will probably want something else..I really like the way the oak smells when you walk outside in the winter time and you have a nice fire burning in the stove..It reminds me of my days as a kid growing up along the South Canadian River south of Sasakwa...It just makes me feel good...:)

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt get to read all this thread, but I use good old Black Jacks. Burn long and hot.
Well Cody, there is sure nothing wrong with Black Jack...it even makes good smoker wood..I love it myself, it's just one of those trees that tend to have a lot of brush..but when you get it cut then it sure is good wood......

Latest posts

Top Bottom