Fishing Texas' Saltwater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Taking a trip to Port Aransas, Texas, next month for a family vacation. One of the things on my list of things to do is catch something out of saltwater. I will be fairly happy to catch anything, but really want to catch a shark....

I will be very limited on what gear I can take, I plan to take my baitcaster, with either 14# mono or braided line of 14 pound diameter, 65# test. And my catfish rig, which has 80# braided line. Any tips on what to do or how, plus if there are any oddball regs to know about. Chartering something is out of the question, partially due to cost, partially because the trip is for my kids, not for me. My plan is to fish in the surf or off some of the structures along the beach while the kids play, or in the evening after they are getting to bed or playing games or such. The older ones will likely join me of course, but the little ones will be back at the cabin likely wore out and going to bed early lol. Could also fish early in the morning I suppose.

Anyway would love any and all advice. Have some striper lures and lots of bass plugs and such if any of that is worth taking. We will be there for 3-4 days and mainly plan to goof off on the beach and go sightseeing, although we will be touring the USS Lexington as well.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With limited gear, fish off the Granite jetties where the big ships come into Port. 2 pounds of shrimp and there is no telling what size of fish you will catch. you may catch a smaller fish to start off, but by the time you have it in, that one turned out to be bait for an even bigger fish like the shark you want. Catch some small crabs in the rocks with a chicken back for bait, use it for bait and catch some real big Drum. You are going at a good time, the water should be warm enough ( around 67 ) and everthing should be biting, Sheephead, Flounder, Speckeld Trout. Throw the shrimp in the air and catch some Seagulls. On the weekends, back your truck up to the walkway, let down your tailgate to sit on, bait in the icechest , cast out as far as you could and don't let go of your pole, it may weigh 2lbs. or 200lbs by the time you get it in, plenty of others fishing by you to help get it in. Good Luck and God Bless

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I fish the tex coast for 30 yrs now never miss a chance. Even still i live here i go back every year just to fish. Im not much into shark fishing but gone a few. You got to get your bait past the first sandbar for sure but certain time of year between 2-3rd is better. If you worry about sting ray and i spend days wading bays, just slide your feet as you walk. They'll move if you even notice. Best wear waders or tennis shoes if on the bay side for sure because oyster shells are sharp. Not really on the gulf side. Serf fishin, We just wade out a little then cast it between the sand bars (where the waves start breaking) you will notice them once you look for it. Steel leaders is what most folk use cause them teeth. The claw heavy weight is good for holding the bait near the spot as well. I dont remember much one regs for black tip or sand sharks except a minimum size. I bet its online tho. Cut bait or if you got a cast net you can get croaker or mullet in the bay easy. They got bait there at the old IGA and the marina which is good usually has live or fresh dead.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well we didn't tear it up but I caught enough for a good meal.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160327_23700cd3f43118ed36135ac0f8bac053.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom