Flipside to the other gun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to put a spin on the question proposed.

Had two guns that I wanted to shoot, but didn't want to sell.

2 Colt lightning rifles in excellent condition. I owned them back in the late '80's and can't remember the calibers...32-20 or 44-40....something like that...anyway...they were in great condition.

So I show them to an old gunsmith, cowboy, jack-of-all- trades. He thought they were in shootable shape. One problem...no parts...not since the late 19th to early 20th Century. So, if I shoot them and anything breaks...collectors will deduct the price. If I find a person to make the broken part, deduct the selling price even more...not original. Plus, the gun..even back then was prone to break down. But..it was a cool cowboy gun.

So they became wall hangers, never to be sold. Well, I kept getting good, to better, to..I can't refuse not to sell it prices....so,I sold them.

I guess if I'm offered enough, I'd sell my soul. Hmm, any bidders on Cohiba's soul..anyone, anyone? Do I hear a nickel, dime, maybe a quarter?

Cohiba

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make it a point to only keep stuff around that I have a specific purpose for and that I use often. My collection is lean, can't afford to have stuff I don't use, haha.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got lots of antique guns in odd calibers that I don't shoot very often (ie: maybe once every 5 years or less), but don't really see a reason to sell. I've got a couple that are in such good shape I'm afraid to scratch them (1930's PPK, 1920's browning .22 auto), so I don't shoot them. There's no reason to sell them just because I don' t shoot them.