Flounder will not be down for drinks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had a child that lived with this condition or knew anyone that had this condition, you would know the clock is ticking on most. The list of complications that can cause death is very long.
It's common and sad.

Are most forms of diabetes preventable or genetic?

I know some are genetic. I don't have these genes, luckily.

I just assumed it messes with your blood sugar and that you must take insulin to treat it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been type 1 for almost 25 years, for what ever reason my Islets said we're done producing. No previous family history, not over weight, later tested negative for the autoimmune marker...... I just quit producing insulin. So far no problems or complications. Took injections for years, been on a pump for a long time now. There are worse illnesses to have, and I don't let it slow me down. I'd rather be type 1 than type 2 anyday.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had a child that lived with this condition or knew anyone that had this condition, you would know the clock is ticking on most. The list of complications that can cause death is very long.
It's common and sad.
This is all I'm going to comment on this.
My daughter had Juvenile Diabetes. Insulin dependent (minimum 3 shots per day) until she went on the pump.
Finished college (OU) and just started her career. Came down with an infection that was antibiotic resistant. She was gone withing 10 days.
Her condition decreased her immune system. It also made her susceptible to a host of life threatening issues.
She was an athlete who started on a state championship team and was a great softball player. In other words, she was doing everything right and it still got her.
She was our only child and this condition is serious. Please make sure you know the signs, particularly with your children.
No sympathy please. Not today.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father is type II, however he is fit and probably the healthiest out of all of us. 5'8", 160lbs exercises every day and keeps his blood sugar where it's supposed to be. Simply bad genes.

He had a stress test a few years back that indicated he has heart damage, more than likely due to diabetes. He has never had a heart attack or any other problems.

Diabetes is a killer, long term & short term, it decreases your life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom