FN Five-SeveN 5.7mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your question, 5.7 is a decent handgun. Feels good in hand, low recoil, high velocity round. Very easy to handle, but the gun and ammo is pretty pricey.

It's more for the ballers out there ;)

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For no good reason I have a serious jones for an FN PS90 carbine in 5.7x28. I like the feel of the gun, and think the engineering is the coolest thing since roast mushrooms (sliced bread isn't cool :cool:). The field strip is so elegantly simple it's crazy.

Anyway, the current American Handgunner includes a joint review of the Five-Seven pistol and the PS90. It's reasonably informative, although it's clear that FNH wanted the sporting aspects of the two guns to be stressed. You could read the whole article and not learn that factory 50-round magazines exist for the carbine.

Both guns were 100% reliable, as I recall. PS90 was very accurate for a combat gun, 1.5 MOA. Pushes the 40 grain pills around 2000 to 2100 fps. I think it would be a sweet anti-predator setup, where legal, to keep in a cabin or truck. Not much different in effect from a .22 Magnum bolt rifle, but short, handy, military tough, and with some secondary application as a defensive carbine that the bolt gun couldn't approach.

The Five-Seven pistol they tested had accuracy problems. Couldn't hold a 3.5" group at 25 yards. Probably not acceptable for sporting uses FWIW. Self-defense may be a different story.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the round is really neat but the ergonomics of the gun SUCK IMO. Just didn't feel good in the hand to me.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one with fixed sights about a month ago, and wound up taking it back because everything was low and left (2-4" at 15 yds). Traded it in for the adjustable sight version.

Shot the new one today and it was much better, but hard to figure out. I wasn't too accurate @ 15 yards, but was accurate at 30 yards. Wife was dead on at 15 yards, and not to great at 30.

We both love shooting it. It is a really cool gun. Just haven't mastered it yet.

Midwayammo.com. $18/50 Box. Haven't seen cheaper.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought the pistol two yrs ago. It shoots about a 4" group at 25 yds with the ammo I bought locally for it. It strikes me as being a full sized service pistol with the highest capacity magazine I've ever seen. The 5.7x28mm caliber is a new, unknown thing to me. How effective as a self-defense round? Wish I knew. Twenty round mag capacity seems like a wonderful thing to me. The pistol is a bit large for concealed carry for me, but for other uses... who knows? I'd be interested in learning more about it. It pleases me to own a FN product, though. The price seems to be about twice what is reasonable to me.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Twenty round mag capacity seems like a wonderful thing to me. The pistol is a bit large for concealed carry for me, but for other uses... who knows? I'd be interested in learning more about it. It pleases me to own a FN product, though. The price seems to be about twice what is reasonable to me.

I agree, 20+1 rounds sounds cool in a handgun ... but then I remember that 17+1 round 9mms are ubiquitous, and that those new Springfield XDMs in 9mm hold 19+1, and cost $500 less than a Five Seven.

Heck, Glock sells 33 round 9mm "stick" mags, and the Beretta PX4 pistols have a pretty compact 20-round factory 9mm mag ...

Still, it's an interesting handgun, and I'd certainly try one if someone offered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom