The original Twilight Zone series. I thought I had seen them all - "The Encounter"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was doing a little Googlefoo and discovered an episode I have not seen. In 1964 it was aired and soon shelved. I still haven't seen it.
Has anyone here seen it and remember it?

Below is just part of the story. I won't ruin it for you.

"The Encounter" is episode 151 of the American television series The Twilight Zone. First broadcast on May 1, 1964, its racial overtones caused it to be withheld from syndication in the U.S. until 2004.

Opening narration​

Two men alone in an attic, a young Japanese-American and a seasoned veteran of yesterday's war. It's twenty odd years since Pearl Harbor, but two ancient opponents are moving into position for a battle in an attic crammed with skeletons, souvenirs, mementos, old uniforms, and rusted medals. Ghosts from the dim reaches of the past, that will lead us into the Twilight Zone.

Plot​

Digging through his attic, an American World War II veteran named Fenton finds an old katana sword. A young Japanese American named Arthur Takamori comes in looking for work, on a tip from a neighbor. Fenton is gruff yet cordial and invites Takamori to share a beer with him in his cluttered attic. Fenton makes a remark about the incongruity between his first name and his obvious ethnicity. Arthur takes offense at first, but when it becomes apparent that Fenton meant no harm he admits that he changed his name from Taro. Fenton shows Takamori the sword and says he took it off a Japanese soldier whom he killed during the war 20 years earlier. When Fenton leaves to fetch more beer, Takamori takes hold of the sword and says in an astonished way "I'm going to kill him. I'm going to kill him. Why?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom