FN Five seveN (5.7x28)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone own or have owned one of these guns? Sounds like they may be more for target shooting, but I don't know.

But, the round and the gun sound interesting, though unusual.

(I did read it was one of the guns the killer down in Texas was shooting last year at that military base, and that it's somewhat on the anti-gun hit list).

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is the gun that was used at Ft Hood. I read on them and wanted one real bad for a while. It is a hot round. When I got to shoot one it just did not feel good in my hand. I played with a couple more of them and then changed my mind on it. If it would have fit my hand better, I would have loved it. Maybe Glock will put one out someday.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot one, the guy who owned it told me that they were made for fighting in the rain forest, they can shoot right through the tree and kill the person hiding behind it.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot one, the guy who owned it told me that they were made for fighting in the rain forest, they can shoot right through the tree and kill the person hiding behind it.

Yea...I read the round type that only gets sold to the Military and Police is armor piecing.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son has one that I have fired several times. It is an OK round but handloaders have not been able to duplicate factory velocities with the powders available. That puts it out of my league, if I can't load it. It appears to have about the same power level as a 22 Hornet. The big draw seems to be that you can get 20 and 30 round mags for it.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son has one that I have fired several times. It is an OK round but handloaders have not been able to duplicate factory velocities with the powders available. That puts it out of my league, if I can't load it. It appears to have about the same power level as a 22 Hornet. The big draw seems to be that you can get 20 and 30 round mags for it.

You are correct. Wikipedia and Guns&Ammo compare the 5.7x28 to the 22 Hornet. Nothing against the Hornet, but that was always "varmint hunting" size when I was younger. The FN Five Seven sounds more and more like a target or plinking gun (an extremely expensive one). Not a home/personal defense gun. Can't have much stopping power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom