Folding Knife Choice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at treating myself to a little nicer folding knife than I usually do. Looking at something a little different like the Hogue Deka, the Microtech MSI or the Demko AD20.5. The Hogue and the Microtech are USA Made...they all have M390 or CPM 20CV for Blade Material. The Demko may be in CPM S35VN. All of them may end of with a set of Original Goat Scales at some point. The range from $167 or so for the Deka up to $250 for the Demko and Microtech...although I may be the Microtech with the Polymer Scales vs G10 to save $70 knowing the scales would be replaced.

Does anybody have any feedback on them? The Hogue with G10 G-Mascus Scales in slightly in the lead for me right now.

1708717096874.png

The Microtech MSI

1708717276078.png

Or the Demko AD20.5

1708717706852.png

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at treating myself to a little nicer folding knife than I usually do. Looking at something a little different like the Hogue Deka, the Microtech MSI or the Demko AD20.5. The Hogue and the Microtech are USA Made...they all have M390 or CPM 20CV for Blade Material. The Demko may be in CPM S35VN. All of them may end of with a set of Original Goat Scales at some point. The range from $167 or so for the Deka up to $250 for the Demko and Microtech...although I may be the Microtech with the Polymer Scales vs G10 to save $70 knowing the scales would be replaced.

Does anybody have any feedback on them? The Hogue with G10 G-Mascus Scales in slightly in the lead for me right now.

View attachment 456284

The Microtech MSI

View attachment 456285

Or the Demko AD20.5

View attachment 456290
Try Sharper Things on NW 65th and May, East side of road, right before Mcdonalds. Connected to a cape shop

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a SIG K320A, which is made by Hogue. It's a well-built knife, and comfortable in the hand, with the best factory edge of any knife I've owned, excluding my MKCs. I have no experience with Microtech or Demko, but they both have excellent reputations, and I am tempted by the MSI.

From what I could find, the Hogue uses washers in the pivot and the Microtech and Demko use ball bearings. I would presume that they're using ceramic bearings, as that seems to be the industry standard, but I couldn't find anything to confirm that.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a swisstech with canvas Micarta handles aus8 steel with ceramic ball bearing. It’s amazing one of the best knives I have and it was by far the cheapest! $30
Opens way too easy and is dangerously sharp! Easy to sharpen and holds an edge a very long time. I use my knives for what ever the job needs. Hammer, prybar, screw driver, you name it. So far it’s held up.
An American company, not sure where it’s made? Doesn’t say.
Way better than my bench made.
IMG_5321.jpeg
IMG_5320.jpeg

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d like to try the Demko, especially with good Shark lock. I love s35v and s45v steels followed by 20cv in ss. I do know I have played with the Hogue some but wasn’t too impressed with side to side play-that just bugs me but ymmv. I do like warncliff and sheep’s foot blades too. My at any given time is a Hinderer gen 3 warncliffe in s35v, a Hinderer gen 1.5 in s35v, a ZT 0562 in 20cv, Spyderco PM 2 in s35v or s110v, or ZT 0452 in 20cv in that order of favorite. I have many others but that’s the ones that get carried. Most aren’t left alone either having custom scales and clips too.

Be careful this can be worse than firearms. You’ll catch yourself starting to carry a smaller fixed blade too in addition to the pocket knife 😳👍

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have many excellent fixed, folding an automatic knives. Perhaps my favorite was an Al Mar Mini-Sere which I kept on my belt for over twenty years at the hospital where I worked. Although the facility had a ‘No Guns or Weapons’ policy, I was never questioned. I rarely used that knife and it still looks brand new. But for every day carry, opening boxes, stripping wires, prying things open and everyday use since around 2009, I’ve been using an SOG Twitch II…..(it needs frequent attention with a sharpening steel).
View attachment 1708877886713.jpeg
My old sharpening steel is a vintage Gerber ‘Gungnir’. This steel still takes off metal from blades and I’ve been using it since the mid 2970s….
1708878168900.png