Food Plot vs Feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am beginning some planning for next year and would like some opinions from fellow hunters. My family owns land that we hunt yearly. We have one hunting buddy who has a feeder on our land that he hunts near regularly.

I am wanting to know would it be better to create some food plots on the land or would it be better just to have some feeders. It seems like it would more work but less money in the long run with the food plots but am not sure about this. I would also probably include a salt lick as well as mineral licks.

I do have access to a tractor and necessary equipment to put in the food plots and the required brush hog to mow it when necessary.

So what do you guys think would be the appropriate way to go on this?

Any input is always appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Basically feeders are for attraction, but food plots are for retaining the deer, and making the herd healthy. There are high protein supplements one can put in feeders to enhance antler growth, etc, but they are expensive, and require lots of it in the spring and summer when they are growing their antlers.
A good food plot will do the same, but if you give deer everything they need, good browse, minerals, food, and water, they are more likely to hang around.
There is quite a science to putting in a good food plot.
Deer Slayer has a tutorial at the top of this forum with a sticky that gives a good detailed explanation how to properly put in a food plot.
Deer aren't normally attracted to salt and mineral licks except when they need the minerals for antler growth.
At least in my area, they must have all of the minerals they require, as I've put out many mineral licks, and salt licks.
They don't touch them, but in your area, they may be short of something and a supplemental mineral lick will help them.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say start reading. Find as much information about food plots. Make up, size, location, etc. There has been tons of money thrown into the food plot market that your resources are almost countless.

Unfortunately with everything you have to read through the Marketing department. Mossy Oak Biologic has a pretty good website listing product types by geographical region as well as times of when to plant. good resources just to look over.

Dennis already mentioned the link above. If you haven't already read through it do it. Its good information, its free and its right here. No internet searching to do.

If the land I'm rifle hunting this year weren't dedicated to hay for the cows. I would be working the land owner over to let me put in a food plot.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always used feeders in the past, and had relatively good luck with them. There were always deer around them, shot a couple of bucks from underneath them, etc. They did the job. Maybe I should say, they did A job.

This year was one of my first experiences with food plots. As long as I have land to put plots on, I will never go back to just feeders. There are some areas that I just have feeders in, due to their locations, but food plots are superior on so many levels. And if you have the time, money and equipment, they can be quite enjoyable. I loved plowing and planting and watching things grow. When you see your food plot covered in deer for the first time, it will make all that work worthwhile. I have one food plot that not only brought the deer in, but there are turkeys on it almost daily.

Not going to lie, they are a lot of work initially, but worth it IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom