"For Our White Friends Desiring to Be Allies"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
About the Author:
Courtney Ariel
Courtney Ariel is a songwriter and storyteller. She is committed to building bridges of deeper understanding through stories. Despite what middle school taught many of us, she thinks we are the coolest when we care. Let's give it a shot.

Briefs well in an article, in reality with my experiences of over 24 years in the Military there is much, much more to the equation.
Progressive Christianity mixes Church and State through Political activism. To me this is a no no.

Thanks for the read YG, as always quite entertaining.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a bunch of claptrap. Sorry, but I am not an oppressor even though I am White. I worked for what I have, and even though I faced a lot of obstacles as a disabled person, I know that things are getting much better for folks like me than they were in the 1950's and earlier. Do I still face prejudice? Sometimes, but when it happens I deal wth it.

And please don't tell me that Blacks and other ethnic minorities can't make it, because I did, and I had a lot fewer things going for me than many of them do.

If I sound angry at this type of whining, it's because I am. This cult of victimhood has got to end. It is hurting the very people it is supposed to be helping.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@gerhard1 You are EXACTLY right. Back when I was on welfare (ever tried to find a job when your pregnant fellas??) I didn't think I was EVER gonna get back up on my feet. Spent that first winter in a single-wide trailer, that cost me $75.00 a month out of $378 a month check, with a hole in the side of it big enough my 4-year-old could crawl in and out of it. Good news is I got a whole $126 in food stamps.

Seriously though, I feel exactly like you do. Don't like your station in life? Get off your ass and work and don't be buying the latest greatest gadget, fashion statement or eating (and drinking) out every night.

I drove a 1977 Plymouth Volare for 15 years. And not because I thought the 2-door 318 was cool. I drove it because it took every penny of the $500 in my pocket to buy it and it was the cheapest car I could find that ran after my worthless alcoholic husband loaded up EVERYTHING we owned, emptied out the bank accounts and moved back in with Mommy when I was in the hospital having exploratory surgery because they thought I had a cancerous ovary and I wouldn't let them terminate my pregnancy.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a bunch of claptrap. Sorry, but I am not an oppressor even though I am White. I worked for what I have, and even though I faced a lot of obstacles as a disabled person, I know that things are getting much better for folks like me than they were in the 1950's and earlier. Do I still face prejudice? Sometimes, but when it happens I deal wth it.

And please don't tell me that Blacks and other ethnic minorities can't make it, because I did, and I had a lot fewer things going for me than many of them do.

If I sound angry at this type of whining, it's because I am. This cult of victimhood has got to end. It is hurting the very people it is supposed to be helping.
Everyone in this country can make it. ALLLLL it takes is to learn from your parents mistakes and if your a young man, KEEP YOUR JOHNSON IN YOUR PANTS (or wrap it) and if you're a young lady, KEEP YOUR LEGS CLOSED (or make him wrap it)

95% (or more) of poor people in this country are poor because of the choices they made!!!! 99% of the people living on SS only are living that way because the failed to plan for retirement.

They always have an excuse. This has been going on for a LOT longer than most on this board have been alive.

There are always exceptions, but very few

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
95% (or more) of poor people in this country are poor because of the choices they made!!!!
There are always exceptions, but very few
Perhaps more accurately, because of the choices their parents made. My dad worked six days a week, my mom five days a week. I go to work every damn day because I was taught that's what self-respecting people do. If someone else's parents, and their parents before them, lived in subsidized government housing and depended upon food stamps to keep themselves fed, then it is likely that they are going to sleep 'til noon everyday, call the day the welfare check arrives "Jubilee Day", and live in the same subsidized government housing their parents, and their parents before them lived in. They may call what I've got a result of "white privilege", but I always heard it referred to as the Protestant Work Ethic.

And here's another thing--my mother and father and my former father-in-law all grew up during the Great Depression, when as many as 25% of the nation's workforce was on what was then called "relief". Being on "relief" wasn't something you told others about, and it was something you worked like hell to get off of. You didn't sleep 'til noon and play your frickin' video games while counting the days 'til the next Jubilee Day. And "relief" damn sure wasn't something that became generational, one generation following the other on the government dole. White privilege my lily-white you-know-what! It is the Protestant work ethic at work.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an introvert, and there's quite a bit of info out in the last few years about how introverts are discriminated against in our culture, and shamed for not being more extroverted.

Does that mean the extroverted have privilege, and I'm owed a dept from them?
I hope so, where do I collect?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest, she lost me at the reparations parts. Mostly because asking for it is unbiblical. Debts and misdeeds should be forgiven unconditionally, if she's as into Jesus as she claims.

The preceding points seemed relatively straightforward though. They're basic talking points in the theory of emotional intelligence.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest, she lost me at the reparations parts. Mostly because asking for it is unbiblical. Debts and misdeeds should be forgiven unconditionally, if she's as into Jesus as she claims.

The preceding points seemed relatively straightforward though. They're basic talking points in the theory of emotional intelligence.
agreed...although I think that, from her perspective, becoming and ally is a reparation and is the aim

Latest posts

Top Bottom