For those who carry the J-frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little on the 940, as good of a gun as it is, there are a few quirks with them. Most of which is the ammo used. Even with the B/C gap your going to get plenty of velocity out of the 940. Roughly the same as if you were shooting a semi with a 3.5" to 4" barrel, so standard velocity 115gr to 124gr loads such as the GoldDot will work wonderfully in it. +P is fine, but stay away from the +P+ loads, or your gun won't be around to long.

Thanks for the advice - the comments I've gleaned from my web crawling have turned up pretty much the same story. Though I've read that even +P rounds are a bit much for the 940. When you say standard velocity loads, you mean - plain old standard loads like Blazer Brass or WWB? Not +P of any kind?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - the comments I've gleaned from my web crawling have turned up pretty much the same story. Though I've read that even +P rounds are a bit much for the 940. When you say standard velocity loads, you mean - plain old standard loads like Blazer Brass or WWB? Not +P of any kind?

Well you have the Gold Dot 124gr loads that are not +P, the old Federal 9BP, and others that aren't +P. +P will wear the gun faster than the standard loads. Those that I mentioned will still come out the end of that barrel at well over 1000fps, and be very effective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom