For those who carry the J-frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He designed it to use up a box of carry ammo each year.

I have issues with someone shooting up their carry ammo because they think it may go bad. Most if not all factory ammo will out live the owner, as long as its not abused, and it takes some serious abuse to cause ammo to not function.

Yeah, but if its exposed to the elements (i.e. in your pistol while you're exposed to the elements), then there's a concern. Also, you should train with what you carry - especially when most CCW'ers are shooting +Ps in their J-frames and plinking with the wimpy stuff. In a lightweight especially, that's a much different recoil feeling.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
another vote for dry firing...

have dry fired my 327PD and 340PD thousands of cycles. which naturally beds in trigger. what really helps is a proper trigger job.

didn't reduce hammer spring weight due to reliability issues with different rounds. after stoning every internal part ...action really smooths out and improves accuracy.

crimson trace laser really helps visualize final hit during dry fire. CT is almost not used during live fire. have been advised by someone way better than me, that using CT while initially helpful... will actually slow your progress down.

no problems hitting consistently a pie plate size target at 10 yds with .357 full house rounds. but +P is what I carry due to .. it's almost impossible to control a .357 weak handed with an ultra light 340PD.

I had to do the same with mine, and I spent as much time shooting my 640 as I did my service gun(SW 4506). We never had to shoot a tenring profile, ours was the FBI Q target, looked more like a pregnant bowling pin, I could and still can keep all my shots inside 5" out to 25yds. Yes it takes lots of practice, and still does. Its not one of those things you learn an then don't ever have to worry about it. Another thing to practice is dry fire, you don't have to be drawing and finding a target, just sit down at night watching your favorite program(With gun unloaded) an just keep pulling the trigger, and do it with both hands. It works!!!!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, but if its exposed to the elements (i.e. in your pistol while you're exposed to the elements), then there's a concern. Also, you should train with what you carry - especially when most CCW'ers are shooting +Ps in their J-frames and plinking with the wimpy stuff. In a lightweight especially, that's a much different recoil feeling.

Unless your crawling around in the crud, the ammo will be fine. Most all military small arms ammunition is stored in above ground storage, with the exception of getting wet, its exposed to heat and cold constantly and still performs. Granted they sometimes have failures, but the precentages are miniscule.

As to shooting what you carry, well I agree there, and if you don't reload already you need to an load up to equal your carry load. As to the lightweights, UnObTainium guns, well they make good paperweights. I've known and seen these crack right under the forcing cone. I'm not going to waste that kind of money on a gun that, not might, but will eventually fail. Once it breaks, all you can do is send it back, and hope S&W will replace it, cause there is no way to fix it.

I'll always carry a steel J-frame. I don't feel the weight is that much of an issue even carrying two guns. If 20 something ounces is that bothersome maybe the person needs to do some strength training.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's the best tutorial vid I ever seen for reloading the mighty J frame. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs

Of course, speedloaders may be a touch faster than a Bianchi Speed Strip, but they are famous (or infamous ;))for binding up on J frames. In the end, it's all just splittin' hairs.

I carry a speed strip in the opposite pocket of my BUG/EDC model 38 Airweight Bodyguard now. When I finally get my "new" J frame (model 649) and it makes it's way to hip carry, I'll probably carry another speed strip in a belt carrier along with a speedloader.

Alrighty!! Speedloaders vs. Speedstrips.
The biggest issue I see with folks using speedloaders is alot still have on the issue wood grips, you got it, its gonna give you fits trying to get it in there, if at all. Those little pocket howitzers have some tight fitting, and this is where aftermarket grips, wood or rubber make all the difference. Even then some have just a little to much rubber or wood to get the little speedloader in place. Use your pocket knife, exactoblade, or razor nad trim back the rubber or shave some off, what ever works for you. Wood, well its time to get out a file, dremel tool, and such, maybe even just a little sanding. It may not be pretty when your done, but your J-frame isn't your BBQ gun either, its there to work for you. As to carry, for myself I carry one split-six/five on the belt(Very small) most folks won't recognize it for what it is, and I drop another loose in my front pocket.

Speed strips. Slow? Yes. But they beat the heck out of loose rounds, since your carrying a J-frame, there is no need to really carry that sixth round, and with the J-frame five on the strip works alot better than a full six. How too. With the strip you load two in it skip one, and load the other three. If you've got some dummy rounds, or snapcaps try loading your J-frame, you'll find it fairly quick to get all five chambered and get back to business. Speedstrips are the easier of the two to carry, put them in a case on your belt, drop them in a shirt pocket, or pants pocket. Very good way to carry spare ammo.

Now my feelings on both are this; You should carry both, and if your J-frame is your primary, you should also look into getting a spare, as nothing is faster than a second loaded gun.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got a speedloader... just don't like it...fits kinda of tight... but mostly it gets in the way due to round shape. very awkward to carry.

been looking for speed strips locally for the last several months. about to give up and mail order. sure hate to mail order but after asking multiple times at several Tulsa area stores with no luck. looks like no one thinks it's worthwhile selling an under $5 item.

sure hate to mail order... but since I'm being forced to mail order and pay freight. probably will load up on all sorts of other goodies I would have purchased locally.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the strip you load two in it skip one, and load the other three. If you've got some dummy rounds, or snapcaps try loading your J-frame, you'll find it fairly quick to get all five chambered and get back to business. Speedstrips are the easier of the two to carry, put them in a case on your belt, drop them in a shirt pocket, or pants pocket. Very good way to carry spare ammo.

That's how I load mine too, but good ol' Mas demonstrates his procedure with 5 rounds in the strip, leaving the last hole empty so he can grab it with the little tail as well as that empty chamber.

Here's a good vid on speedloader use, but I think it mainly applies to full size K, L & N frames. Obviously, they've once again changed the way you reload your sixgun.

I still like the "old" way. :rolleyes2

Also, the mighty J frame is a little easier to hold during the reloading process than it's full sized counterparts. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA&feature=related

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good drill. And 25 isn't too far. After making the hits at 25 consistently, move on back to 50. The gun is accurate enough for the distance, just gotta train yourself to be accurate enough.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to do the same with mine, and I spent as much time shooting my 640 as I did my service gun(SW 4506). We never had to shoot a tenring profile, ours was the FBI Q target, looked more like a pregnant bowling pin, I could and still can keep all my shots inside 5" out to 25yds. Yes it takes lots of practice, and still does. Its not one of those things you learn an then don't ever have to worry about it. Another thing to practice is dry fire, you don't have to be drawing and finding a target, just sit down at night watching your favorite program(With gun unloaded) an just keep pulling the trigger, and do it with both hands. It works!!!!

preaching to the choir...

you should come shoot with us at the gun club matches... i got some new toys (one swinger and one drop turn) to go with the assorted pepper poppers and other targets and barricades....

i drive fire several times a week.. i have an idpa target i set up in my living room and work on front sight alignment and trigger control.. of course I'm preparing to go to CLEET firearms instructor school so i have a little extra incentive to practice..

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is for your benefit. Yes I do practice this same routine, along with others.
Try to do this with a timer, if not thats OK too. If possible all these will start from the draw, if due to range rules you can't, then atleast go from low ready. This is not the "end all to be all", just a good practice routine.

1. 3yds, draw, strong hand, fire 5rds COM, reload, fire 5rds weak hand, reload, holster.

2. 7yds, draw, using twohand grip, fire 3rds COM, 2rds head, reload, repeat. If you can set up two targets fire 2rd COM 1rd head, 1rd COM, 1rd head.

3. 15yds, draw, using twohand grip, fire 5rd COM reload, repeat. You can fire this standing, kneeling, or siting on the ground.

4. 25yds, draw, using two hand hold, fire 5rd COM, repeat. If possible use a baracade. Remember at this range you'll be able to take more time to make sure your shots are well placed.

I know I'm going to hear all about why would you shoot at 25yds. That J-frame is more accurate than you are, an you will never know what type of SD problem you will encounter. There are three rules that apply to your selfdefense firearm. Those are-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and more PRACTICE!!!!

Alright. What is COM? Center of mass?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alright. What is COM? Center of mass?

Yep. Actually for me its right above the heart area where most of the piping is. The heart is a muscle, and as such can sustain alot of damage without shutting down quickly; however, putting rounds into the plumbing aka tearing holes in the arteries will cause greater blood loss, plus you'll have rounds going into the upper portions of the lungs and trachia, shutting down the ability to breath.

Latest posts

Top Bottom