For those who carry the J-frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
preaching to the choir...

you should come shoot with us at the gun club matches... i got some new toys (one swinger and one drop turn) to go with the assorted pepper poppers and other targets and barricades....

i drive fire several times a week.. i have an idpa target i set up in my living room and work on front sight alignment and trigger control.. of course I'm preparing to go to CLEET firearms instructor school so i have a little extra incentive to practice..

Chris, I've been meaning to come out and shoot at the matches, and I'm also a member there and shoot there regularly. Always seems to be something that keeps me tied up. I will be there one day!!

As to preaching to the choir, no just trying to help out those who are starting out. To many folks now days buy a gun, load it, throw it in a drawer, or god forbid, take a CCW class an start wearing the gun around thinking they've had all the training they will ever need.

I'm no expert, but have alot of time behind the gun in the military, LEO, and as an Iraq contractor. I've shot in several different type of competions, and have wandered the hunting fields. Just trying to pass on what I know, and what has worked for me.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to preaching to the choir, no just trying to help out those who are starting out. To many folks now days buy a gun, load it, throw it in a drawer, or god forbid, take a CCW class an start wearing the gun around thinking they've had all the training they will ever need.

that's the sad reality....

you even see that in law enforcement.. only time the gun clears leather and is actually fired is that one time a year they have to score their 72,

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that's the sad reality....

you even see that in law enforcement.. only time the gun clears leather and is actually fired is that one time a year they have to score their 72,

When I was an LEO back in Georgia out of our 400+ man department there was just a handfull of us, less than 12, who would meetup every two weeks to actually put rounds downrange. We were also the only ones attending all the different shooting classes at POST headquarters/acadamy down in Forseth Ga. Most others were taking all the "feel good/PC" classes. I've been on the quals range where we would have road officers who would have to shoot three or four times to make minimum. Alot just saw the gun as they do their badge, just another piece of the uniform. I have several reprimands in my records from refusing to work with certain persons based on their ability to shoot. I was more concerned that they may shoot me or themselves trying to back me up. We also had to qual every quarter, and even when they went over to Glocks from the SW 4506 nothing improved, and now instead of 8+1rds of .45, they have 15+1 of .40. They haven't had any fatal shootings of officers, but have had several ND's that have wounded officers.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your crawling around in the crud, the ammo will be fine. Most all military small arms ammunition is stored in above ground storage, with the exception of getting wet, its exposed to heat and cold constantly and still performs. Granted they sometimes have failures, but the precentages are miniscule.

As to shooting what you carry, well I agree there, and if you don't reload already you need to an load up to equal your carry load. As to the lightweights, UnObTainium guns, well they make good paperweights. I've known and seen these crack right under the forcing cone. I'm not going to waste that kind of money on a gun that, not might, but will eventually fail. Once it breaks, all you can do is send it back, and hope S&W will replace it, cause there is no way to fix it.

I'll always carry a steel J-frame. I don't feel the weight is that much of an issue even carrying two guns. If 20 something ounces is that bothersome maybe the person needs to do some strength training.

I'll concede that you're probably right about the carry ammo, but about the time the copper jacketing starts to change color from hot/cold/condensation, etc... I start getting nervous (and since I don't reload anyways), I tend to shoot that ammo out of the J-frames at that time.

I'll admit that I don't practice nearly as much as I should with my J-frame and I tend to carry it "in a pinch" a lot since it pocket-carries so well.

I don't personally have an issue with alloy or scandium framed guns (I've seen more solid-steel Smiths Kaboom than scandium or alloy framed guns), but I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a steel-framed J-frame since I don't personally have an issue with the weight.

I gotta be honest, I didn't even notice a difference in the 340 over the 642 and even the 642 isn't that much lighter than a steel-framed model (especially since the cylinder/barrel are stainless steel).

I think the biggest deterrent to me shooting my J regularly is that it absolutely sucks to clean (and I'm lazy). I break it out about every 6-months and shoot it and that's probably a bad thing since I carry it at least 4 times a month (church) and whenever I'm dressed up since I really don't like tuckable holsters.

This thread has motivated me to get out and shoot a J-frame when I break out the other carry guns at the range.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a deal to get my first J-frame revolver - a 940. For those of you who don't know what that is (and I was one last week), it's a 640 Centennial chambered for 9mm Parabellum :D I'd been considering getting a J-frame for some time, but the unavailability of reasonably priced .38 Special ammo, especially +P JHP, had put me off. I know I could get the stuff at Bass Pro or Academy, but their prices are a bit rich for my blood. Chasing down the ammo at Wal-Mart at 7 AM when they roll out the previous night's deliveries isn't my cup of tea, either. When I learned that S&W had made a J-frame using the 9mm cartridge, I decided to get onto the bandwagon. I'm looking forward to acquiring the 940 and to putting it through its paces on a regular basis, using a routine similar to those described in this thread. :thumb:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Actually for me its right above the heart area where most of the piping is. The heart is a muscle, and as such can sustain alot of damage without shutting down quickly; however, putting rounds into the plumbing aka tearing holes in the arteries will cause greater blood loss, plus you'll have rounds going into the upper portions of the lungs and trachia, shutting down the ability to breath.

Let's don't forget about those pesky ribs that get in the way as well. :rolleyes2

When I was an LEO back in Georgia out of our 400+ man department there was just a handfull of us, less than 12, who would meetup every two weeks to actually put rounds downrange. We were also the only ones attending all the different shooting classes at POST headquarters/acadamy down in Forseth Ga. Most others were taking all the "feel good/PC" classes. I've been on the quals range where we would have road officers who would have to shoot three or four times to make minimum. Alot just saw the gun as they do their badge, just another piece of the uniform. I have several reprimands in my records from refusing to work with certain persons based on their ability to shoot. I was more concerned that they may shoot me or themselves trying to back me up. We also had to qual every quarter, and even when they went over to Glocks from the SW 4506 nothing improved, and now instead of 8+1rds of .45, they have 15+1 of .40. They haven't had any fatal shootings of officers, but have had several ND's that have wounded officers.

It's also worth mentioning that a person's accuracy ability lessens at least 25% during the stress of an armed encounter. That means that those lazy deadbeats who were struggling to make 70% are now 50% shooters at best! :yikes2:

So...let's see...hmmm...:scratch:...if they fire 15 rounds of .40 at the bad guy (and quite possibly some good guys too) they might hit their target 7 times? Right? :ugh2:

Uhhh...:lookaroun...where's the other 7 or 8 rounds? :anyone:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm working on a deal to get my first J-frame revolver - a 940. For those of you who don't know what that is (and I was one last week), it's a 640 Centennial chambered for 9mm Parabellum :D I'd been considering getting a J-frame for some time, but the unavailability of reasonably priced .38 Special ammo, especially +P JHP, had put me off. I know I could get the stuff at Bass Pro or Academy, but their prices are a bit rich for my blood. Chasing down the ammo at Wal-Mart at 7 AM when they roll out the previous night's deliveries isn't my cup of tea, either. When I learned that S&W had made a J-frame using the 9mm cartridge, I decided to get onto the bandwagon. I'm looking forward to acquiring the 940 and to putting it through its paces on a regular basis, using a routine similar to those described in this thread. :thumb:

A little on the 940, as good of a gun as it is, there are a few quirks with them. Most of which is the ammo used. Even with the B/C gap your going to get plenty of velocity out of the 940. Roughly the same as if you were shooting a semi with a 3.5" to 4" barrel, so standard velocity 115gr to 124gr loads such as the GoldDot will work wonderfully in it. +P is fine, but stay away from the +P+ loads, or your gun won't be around to long.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll concede that you're probably right about the carry ammo, but about the time the copper jacketing starts to change color from hot/cold/condensation, etc... I start getting nervous (and since I don't reload anyways), I tend to shoot that ammo out of the J-frames at that time.

I'll admit that I don't practice nearly as much as I should with my J-frame and I tend to carry it "in a pinch" a lot since it pocket-carries so well.

I don't personally have an issue with alloy or scandium framed guns (I've seen more solid-steel Smiths Kaboom than scandium or alloy framed guns), but I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a steel-framed J-frame since I don't personally have an issue with the weight.

I gotta be honest, I didn't even notice a difference in the 340 over the 642 and even the 642 isn't that much lighter than a steel-framed model (especially since the cylinder/barrel are stainless steel).

I think the biggest deterrent to me shooting my J regularly is that it absolutely sucks to clean (and I'm lazy). I break it out about every 6-months and shoot it and that's probably a bad thing since I carry it at least 4 times a month (church) and whenever I'm dressed up since I really don't like tuckable holsters.

This thread has motivated me to get out and shoot a J-frame when I break out the other carry guns at the range.

Don't worry about the copper changing colors, thats normal, and really has nothing to do with the inside of the case. As to steel framed guns going Kaboom, most of that is "RobbyRedNeck" trying out his new superload. I've seen those too. What I was refering to was the alloy frames streaching to where they usually start to crack right under the forcing cone, which on your alloy guns is the weakest spot.

To carry a gun that often and shoot it as little as that, you really need to be getting to the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom