For you (pre) history buffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutly correct.
Some of the counterfitters use copper tools, and the Native Tribes from the North brought copper nuggets with them to trade for the flint/chert, and used copper to knap points.
I use copper tools to knap, so I have to assume the carbon dating can see modern copper vs older copper?

Not really, there are other methods to help detect though. Natives did use some copper as tools (from Great Lakes Region), but the copper is a bit different than the copper boppers that knappers use today. Needless to say, fraud plays a huge role in the artifact market (as with anywhere there is money involved). Most reproductions / fakes aren't too hard to detect, but there are some fakers who are really good at what they do. I deal with those people on a regular basis, and I have to admit that I do have to chuckle to myself when I hear some of the stories...they always have a story, always.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This thread has peaked my interest. A few years ago, while hunting at Cherokee i found several broken points near a creekbed. Also found a large rock "seat" with a big pile of chips/flakes beside it. I kinda thought that may have been a "manufacturing" place.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really, there are other methods to help detect though. Natives did use some copper as tools (from Great Lakes Region), but the copper is a bit different than the copper boppers that knappers use today. Needless to say, fraud plays a huge role in the artifact market (as with anywhere there is money involved). Most reproductions / fakes aren't too hard to detect, but there are some fakers who are really good at what they do. I deal with those people on a regular basis, and I have to admit that I do have to chuckle to myself when I hear some of the stories...they always have a story, always.

Thats what I've heard. I took a class for flint knapping at the Pawnee Bill Museum, kind, of forgot about it, and took it again, and got the fever.

The fever has subsided a little but I still have two 5 gallon buckets of Kay County Chert, heat treated, that needs to be knapped.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread has peaked my interest. A few years ago, while hunting at Cherokee i found several broken points near a creekbed. Also found a large rock "seat" with a big pile of chips/flakes beside it. I kinda thought that may have been a "manufacturing" place.

Sounds like a quarry area, for aboriginal or modern knapper. It would surprise you how many knappers there are out there.

Thats what I've heard. I took a class for flint knapping at the Pawnee Bill Museum, kind, of forgot about it, and took it again, and got the fever.

The fever has subsided a little but I still have two 5 gallon buckets of Kay County Chert, heat treated, that needs to be knapped.

I've been knapping around 30 years. That should be one of the first skills learned by all of the "preppers". It's a lot harder to accomplish than it looks, but invaluable knowledge to have.

It looks like I will be teaching basic flintknapping courses over at the museum starting next month, so far the response has been promising.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a quarry area, for aboriginal or modern knapper. It would surprise you how many knappers there are out there.

I've been knapping around 30 years. That should be one of the first skills learned by all of the "preppers". It's a lot harder to accomplish than it looks, but invaluable knowledge to have.

It looks like I will be teaching basic flintknapping courses over at the museum starting next month, so far the response has been promising.

your way beyond my skills.
I agree that the wanna-be preppers need to learn the ways of the old ones.
My Whole life has been about killing and eating.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've collected artifacts and studied Native American prehistory for most of my life. In fact, it's my job. This artifact is a recent find, found on private land, Mayes County, Oklahoma.

What makes this point exceptional is the lithic material that it's made of. It was knapped from heat-treated Cotter Dolomite from Delaware Co, Oklahoma. It's Euchalayta variety, named for Eucha lake / vicinity. Generally, this material is too fractured up to make points of any size out of. Every now and then you can find nodules embedded in limestone - it's works better, but is still a pain in the a$$. Aboriginals knew this, so you don't find very many points made out of it. The material was heat treated to make it more workable, it also brought out the red coloration in the stone. The creator of this point could have chosen a better working stone from the immediate area (Reed Springs, Keokuk, Peoria, etc.) but chose this solely for aesthetics.

This is an Edgewood dart point and dates in the late Archaic time period (approx. 2,900 - 3,400 years before present). Taste the Rainbow!

View attachment 21835

THat is nice,I sure miss looking for points!

Latest posts

Top Bottom