Former LSU player shot by dog, leg amputated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During a duck hunting trip, Matt Branch, a former LSU football player, was accidentally shot in the leg when a dog stepped on his shotgun. He was lucky that others in the hunting party were able to drive him to a road where they met first responders.

A story in a Mississippi newspaper quoted a friend on the hunting trip: "...Matt had laid his gun down flat in the bed of the [Polaris Ranger ATV] and walked around on the passenger side to finish loading up..."

The newspaper said: "Seeing that the hunters were loading the vehicle, another hunting companion, a Labrador retriever named Tito, jumped in the bed of the Ranger. As he walked around finding a place to sit, he stepped on the safety of Branch's shotgun and pulled the trigger...Branch began screaming and fell to the ground. The gun had shot through the bed of the vehicle and struck his left thigh."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...shot-hunting-dog-leg-amputated-ms/2512820002/

And getting shot by a dog stepping on a gun has happened before. An article from back in the fall --
Tex Gillian "was in the New Mexico desert hunting jackrabbits when Charlie, one of three dogs with him at the time, reportedly caught his paw on the trigger of the gun and fired a shot which hit Gilligan in the back through the driver’s seat...
He suffered three broken ribs, a punctured lung and a broken shoulder bone..."
http://time.com/5442886/man-forgives-dog-shot-him-new-mexico/

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m surprised no one is thinking about the dog and the trigger. Speaking of safety. I assumed years ago that most people were safe and aware while handling firearms. Not the case. I’m not sure people have the same presence of mind that they once had. Public ranges are a no go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom