Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Hit By Cargo Ship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same could be said of any accident... The Macondo blow out... known to you folks as "Deep Water Horizon", the Tacoma Narrows bridge, the Hindenberg, the train derailment in Ohio, the Titanic, the Oil City Refinery.... Too much occured at precisely the right time! Well often time a cigar is just a cigar, but y'all are smoking something other than cigars!!!! 😜 Next you will blame the Edmond Fitzgerald on the Loch Ness monster!

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I
What a tragedy. Driving across a bridge and seeing that ship coming towards the supports had to be horrifying.
I've driven the Key Bridge may times. The alternative is tunnels and I'm claustrophobic as sheet. I'll take my chance on the bridge collapse before being in a tunnel when it ruptures.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

At 1.27am, the pilot ordered the Dali to drop the port anchor, along with other steering commands. The pilot also issued another high frequency radio call, reporting that the ship had lost all power and was approaching the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
Dropping that port anchor would have prevented the ship from turning away from the pilings.

Woody

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you think dropping that anchor did anything AT ALL you are dropping acid!

Let's put this in terms you would know since cowboy is in your name..... You attach a garden trowel to a bull with cotton twine tied around his neck. The bull sees a heffer that is "in the mood" and he starts heading over that's way at a fair clip. You decide to guide him by dropping the trowel off the side of him to turn him one way or the other or keep him on course. What effect do you think that would have? Try and answer before the acid takes a hold!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Let's put this in terms you would know since cowboy is in your name..... You attach a garden trowel to a bull with cotton twine tied around his neck. The bull sees a heffer that is "in the mood" and he starts heading over that's way at a fair clip. You decide to guide him by dropping the trowel off the side of him to turn him one way or the other or keep him on course. What effect do you think that would have? Try and answer before the acid takes a hold!
My friend that was just over for dinner an hour ago was one of the helmsmen on the USS Enterprise in the early 70’s.
We talked about this accident during the pre dinner happy hour.
His impression of how controlling a top heavy ship mirrors your observations and comments. Too sharp of a turn, the Big E would capsize. The container ship is no different, but would probably shed the cargo containers first.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Let me put it in terms you obviously think you understand. Dropping condescension along side gaslighting wouldn't change the course of this thread like you believe it will. What effect do you think it would have? Try to answer before your arrogance fades ...

Woody

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend that was just over for dinner an hour ago was one of the helmsmen on the USS Enterprise in the early 70’s.
We talked about this accident during the pre dinner happy hour.
His impression of how controlling a top heavy ship mirrors your observations and comments. Too sharp of a turn, the Big E would capsize. The container ship is no different, but would probably shed the cargo containers first.
In the late 60's I spent time on the Essex, Wasp, Lexington, and Forestall. On every cruise flank speed maneuvers were practiced. Even in heavy seas, neither ship even pretended it would capsize. If that would happen, we would have lost all of them during WWII evasive maneuvers - except the Forestall since it wasn't around during WWII.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, I'm just stating from my experiences.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom