Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Hit By Cargo Ship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
another video out there shows the ship prior to striking the bridge and it appears that the ship might have had some problems that contributed. At least in that video, it appears the ship loses power (all lights go out), eventually come back on and smoke appears coming from it. All before it struck the support.

Found a video of it

I have it on reliable input from Slo Joe via KJP that they know for certain "TRUMP DID IT!!!!"

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All else aside, that ship appears to have a bow that sticks out further than the distance between the outer perimeter of the bumper and the pilings. It looks to me like the bow of the ship likely hit the pilings before it ran into the bumper. Add that to the possibility the incident was planned and executed ... the ship being the perfect device to take out that bridge.

Like most mass murders taking place in gun free zones, a couple of suitable tug boats guiding that ship would likely have prevented or stopped the ship from taking out that bridge, like a gun or two could stop most mass murders.

That said, bigger bumpers should have been constructed prior to allowing such large ships in that harbor. Yeah, I know. Common sense is too rare a commodity for such forethought.

Woody
Tugs are very expensive to engage, typically only engaged for maneuvering into/away from the dock. The ship was under its own power, as is routine away from the dock, with two Port of Baltimore pilots commanding ship maneuvering. Ship enounted power issues, put out MayDay, dropped port stern anchor....too late. Cars and trucks are seen crossing bridge (video sped up dramatically) prior to collision. The MayDay allowed MDOT to actually close both ends of bridge. Cars seen on bridge during collapse, apparently were those of the construction workers. One can see the ship swing to starboard approaching the bridge, whether by currents, rudder positioning at power loss, and or from anchor dragging. Note those anchors are only able to hold a ship in position at rest. They will only drag on the bottom or have chain break if anchor digs in under the tremendous momentum of a moving ship.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In two minutes??? Even if you cranked it hard over and ramped the engines all the way up you might have turned the ship a bit less than 1/16 of a degree! By the way Black boxes record when the power is on, not off. We know it lost power, at least twice, and we also know that when power is restored it takes a few moments for all your computers AND sensors to reboot. Two minutes for anything to happen on large shipping, is akin to less than a nano second on small stuff
Kurt, just asking the question, don't may of ships this size have bow thrusters? I do not have the kind of experience you have, but many years of experience with power boats 20 to 57 feet in length. I have seen Great Lakes Freighters make some pretty astounding maneuvers leaving docks and navigating rivers like the Saginaw River in Michigan and the Soo Locks...

Last edited:

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2350.jpeg

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I betcha the lawyers are lined up to seize that ship. It should never leave the Patapsco River. First in line should be the Maryland Port Authority or Maryland Department of Transportation.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From most of these comments it becomes very apparent that the average person posting has no idea about how large ships operate and maneuver/steer. I work on a large ship, a bit bigger than this cargo vessel, and I can say what I see is purely accident. Some of the ideas and thoughts about how this could have been avoided, and about how it could have just turned away are very comical.
I also worked on a big ol ship. Most see the fast forward footage and are not aware of what they are seeing.

My USN vessel dropped a load many a time because of a new engineering crew in engineering and just while from traveling the Charleston River to open water. Enough to make many as sailors, shite a brick.

Was the Frank Cable. We even had to wait for low tide to leave just to get under the bridge. We dropped a load in the river more than several times and then we dropped a load in the open water too many times to count while at sea. The main difference was our auxiliary engines kicked on right away.

I can see this both ways. I can see this as complete incompetence, and I can also see it as a planned attack. Our sea port are very vulnerable.

As part of our ships SSD (ships self-defense force) I got to play the bad guy and this is definitely one of the ways I would’ve been the bad guy.

People will exploit our weaknesses and make it look like an accident. And I can definitely see this as something that could be on purpose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom