Future gunsmith work possibilities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This winter I will be investing in some gunsmithing work on some of my firearms, some are vintage, and or custom. One of the rifles I would like a wood stock made similar to the high gloss Weatherby styles and some bluing done. Some of the fires arms I just want deep clean, gone through and preserved. I will list the idea's I have on certain firearms. If you have recommendations on gunsmiths that can do this work please let me know.

Taylor & Co 1873 Uberti Stainless Steel: will need some timing work done

M1917 Enfield: I would like it cleaned up, and gone through to include preserving as its a military original

Enfield No.1 Mark III Indian Police .410 bore: i would like to see if this is a true .410 bore or potentially one that was converted for .410 shotgun shells. I would like it gone through, cleaned up and preserved.

Custom Sportized M1917 in 35 Whelen: This was re-barreled to 35 Whelen and its a good rifle but i would like to have a stock made for it similar to the Weatherby style high gloss stocks and gone through make sure everything works and deep cleaned and possibly re-blued. Possibly a bedding job. I intend to shoot this rifle from time to time and possibly hunt with sometimes but I want it to pop with classic deluxe style.

Custom Spanish Mauser: This one is fairly fancy my uncle had done with some engravings but I would like the bolt jewelled, gone through, deep cleaned and preserved as it will stay in the family and passed down. I want this one to shine up a lot and look pristine.

Savage 110: This was a cheap pawn shop find that I couldn't pass up but it was very dirty and rusty. I have gotten lots of the rust off but it needs to be gone through and deep cleaned, and will likely need a new finish. I would like to also source a nice quality stock for it that's fairly light but stiff. Would probably like a bedding job on it as well.

Winchester Model 71: I just want this to be gone through, cleaned and preserved.

Winchester Model 1890: gone through, cleaned and preserved.

That's about all I can think of. Its quite a bit but I wouldn't mind working down this list over time as I know it will take time. But I would at least like to start on this list this winter.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm retired and can't do the work anymore. But I would offer this advice.
In today's world of specialization, You will probably need to seek out at least 3 smiths to do the work.
A pistolsmith
A stockmaker
A refinish expert
Nowadays it's very hard to find one that can/wants to do it all.
Oh, and if you want checkering done that another. cause that's really specialized.

Latest posts

Top Bottom