Garand Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a Garand in the near future and I was wondering what certain platform issues that I need to look for when picking one out. I know how to look at the gas seal underneath the muzzle but what other problem areas do I need to look at.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the rifling condition is important for accuracy, if it is not from the cmp you need to fire it first to make sure the extractor is properly positioned and functioning right, make sure the bolt moves smoothly and forcefully when released, if the chamber has rust or corrosion built up the casing will stick and be a pita to remove(i know from personal experience). in a lot of cases the front hand guard may be slightly loose from contraction of the wood but the stock should not be loose at all, that would mean poor fitiment and guarantee poor accuracy and possible safety concerns. you will want to get an adjustable gas plug if you want to shoot regular commercial ammo, cost is about 30 and very easy to install/adjust, it can also make the gun more accurate with varying ammo or even the factory m2 ball surplus. it is recommended to go ahead and replace your op rod spring and clip latch spring right off the bat.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quick and easy way to gauge the muzzle wear is to take a 30 caliber round and stick the bullet into the muzzle. If the muzzle swallows the bullet, the muzzle's petty worn. The less of the bullet that goes in, the better off you are.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition to what has already been posted; Grab the op rod handle and cycle the bolt briskly several times, if the op rod un-mounts from the track, that's a pretty good indication of wear. The Garand system can be rebuilt, but can easily cost as much as the rifle. My 2 cents, go CMP if possible.

regards

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
CMP is definately the way to go. You will get what they advertise on the website and many times even better. Get a good service grade rifle and you wont be sorry. It will be GTG from the start.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
CMP rules!!! Granted it takes time to get the firearm after purchase, but its well worth the wait, and you get what you paid for! You will pay less than what it will cost on the open market, and it even comes with support.

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CMP is definately the way to go. You will get what they advertise on the website and many times even better. Get a good service grade rifle and you wont be sorry. It will be GTG from the start.

CMP rules!!! Granted it takes time to get the firearm after purchase, but its well worth the wait, and you get what you paid for! You will pay less than what it will cost on the open market, and it even comes with support.

Agreed!! I recently stopped by the CMP and got to pick the one I wanted. No regrets whatsoever.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What support does the CMP purchase come with? I've been considering a drive to Anniston to hand pick one in the future.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have great customer service...if you discover something wrong with your rifle after purchase, they will make it right.

No reason to pay hundreds more for a Garand from anywhere else IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom