Garand Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What support does the CMP purchase come with? I've been considering a drive to Anniston to hand pick one in the future.

Handpicking one is the way to go. I was with Sabot when he got his, and there's a lot of variation within each grade. Some of them I would have been disappointed to receive.

The CMP special for $995 is pricey, but it's as close to new as you're gonna get. They're very nice (and I'm still kicking myself for not getting one).

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked mine up today and it has many of the things mentioned above already done. It has the adjustable gas plug and new operating rod spring. When I place a live round in the muzzle it has about 1/8" of the bullet sticking out of the crown. It looks to be in pretty good shape otherwise. Thank you guys for all of the advise on picking a good one. I expect to have some issues with a 65 year old rifle but to me I enjoyworking through the issues, that is how I gain knowledge.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked mine up today and it has many of the things mentioned above already done. It has the adjustable gas plug and new operating rod spring. When I place a live round in the muzzle it has about 1/8" of the bullet sticking out of the crown. It looks to be in pretty good shape otherwise. Thank you guys for all of the advise on picking a good one. I expect to have some issues with a 65 year old rifle but to me I enjoyworking through the issues, that is how I gain knowledge.

1/8" is about as good as it gets! Sounds like you got a good'un! What mnufacturer, and whereabouts is the serial number?

A greased Garand is a happy Garand! Grease the bolt tracks, the locking lug recesses, the op-rod track, the cavity in the op-rod where it cams the bolt, and the underside of the barrel where it contacts the op-rod. If you're feeling it, you can grease the pivot points in the trigger group (not the sear engagement surface!) If it ain't slinging grease, you haven't done it right!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this is great advice. Can anyone recommend a "best" manual or book on actually operating the Garand? I want to get some historical references eventually, but I plan on shooting mine starting next month and want to know the do's and dont's before going hot range with it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this is great advice. Can anyone recommend a "best" manual or book on actually operating the Garand? I want to get some historical references eventually, but I plan on shooting mine starting next month and want to know the do's and dont's before going hot range with it.

Scott Duff is a recognized source of all sorts of info on the Garand...

http://www.scott-duff.com/

scroll down and click on "Books" and then "Scott Duff Publications" then find M1 Garand....great owners guide and historical references.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/8" is about as good as it gets! Sounds like you got a good'un! What mnufacturer, and whereabouts is the serial number?

A greased Garand is a happy Garand! Grease the bolt tracks, the locking lug recesses, the op-rod track, the cavity in the op-rod where it cams the bolt, and the underside of the barrel where it contacts the op-rod. If you're feeling it, you can grease the pivot points in the trigger group (not the sear engagement surface!) If it ain't slinging grease, you haven't done it right!

It is a Springfield Armory and the serial number is in the 1944 range. When you say grease can I just use a universal gun oil or do I need a certain type of lubricant for it. Thanks for the advise and I can't wait to try it out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a Springfield Armory and the serial number is in the 1944 range. When you say grease can I just use a universal gun oil or do I need a certain type of lubricant for it. Thanks for the advise and I can't wait to try it out.

Where he's saying to use grease, most oils wouldn't stay in place and you would get premature metal wear as you shoot it. I'd get a good gun grease to use in those areas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom