gas checked lead in a M1 carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cast & loaded some 120gr gc 30 cals for my m1 carbine. They shot great but I was just thinking will they lead up the gas port. My thought with the gas cks no but I am not so sure now 2nd guessing myself. What do you say?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you go to midway.com and look at bullet molds for .30 cal bullets that would work in the .30 carbine you can read many reviews where the molds buyers have shot many through their .30 carbines with no bad leading problems. I have been reading them as I am thinking of trying to cast bullets again. I think a gas check bullet in a .30 carbine would be great. I bet you could use the same bullet in light .30-30 loads too. Tell me which mold you are using?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as there is no gas blowby to strip lead from the cast bullet there will be no lead in the gas port.

I shoot cast in my M1 Garand and AR15 don't have a 30 carbine.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll have no real problems with gas systems when using lead. Check out cast boolits. There is a wealth if knowledge over there. Just size appropriately. You shouldn't have any problems.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If sized properly, and kept within proper velocity windows, gas checks are not needed. It's a a piece of tape, and doesn't resolve the real issue. First, slug your barrel. Nobody can tell you what you need to size your boolit to without slugging the barrel. After than, size .001-.002 over that size, and load them up. And stay away from Factory Crimp Dies, they'll size your boolit in the case. If your rounds wont chamber, this is probably due to your crimp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom