Gen 4 Glock 17

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Handled a generation 4 Glock 17 today and was impressed with the new smaller, rougher grip. It seemed like my small-to-medium hand span fit and had good control of the large frame pistol. Been training with,shooting and carrying a compact G19 for a couple of years now. I was tempted to buy this new gen 4 G17 until I saw the new recoil spring design, spring within a spring, partially in a metal tube, with a plastic rod in the middle, sporting a plastic flowered forward end AND then a thin metal washer looking end stop/cap? Christ-on-a-crutch was that a tortured looking setup for a captive recoil spring assembly. Then I was treated to the sad spectacle of an example of this recoil assembly that had broken into about five pieces. What were Glock engineers thinking? Anybody heard of this?

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100 rounds thru mine with no prob. I could be wrong but i think its the same set up in the G26 and G27. They have been in those for awhile.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was somewhat skeptical of the new recoil spring, but despite the rumored issues on the internet, mine has been flawless for about 400-500 rounds. (which granted, isn't that much)

Several individuals in the shooting world have already reported round counts over 7,000 or so with zero issues. I have yet to see any real issues related to the new spring. I don't consider weak 9mm ammo to be a real issue. However, with that said, if someone is happy with the 3rd Gen grip, I see little reason for them to purchase the Gen4 - especially if they are going to have an aftermarket stipple job done.

My Gen4 G17 is my favorite Glock of all the ones I've ever owned (26, 19, 17, 34) and is my second favorite handgun I've ever owned. (2nd only to my Wilson 1911).

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OPS has an example of a Gen4 recoil spring that self destructed while cleaning before being fired for the first time! I still think the RTF frame is more "grippy" than the Gen4. I did like the feel of the smaller frame. Other than that I'm happy with Gen3 RTF. Triggers feel the same to me. As far as I could tell the recoil springs were not the same on a G26 and Gen4, then again the Gen4 spring was in pieces.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Gen 4 recoil spring has several features to separate it from the dual spring recoil system used for many years on the sub-compact "baby" Glocks. Those springs on baby's are very dependable and do reduce felt recoil below what might be expected for such a small, full-powered gun.

I'll bet Glock will have to "upgrade" (they never recall, just upgrade) their dual spring system in the Gen 4's. The end rivet will continue to pop loose from the plastic inner rod until it's engineered more secure.

It looks like Glock wanted to design a dual spring system for the Gen 4's that would add some stiffness to the dustcover area. A good idea, once it works well, to provide greater dependability for G-22's equipped with lights on the dustcover rail.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack you hit the nail on the head. What you described is exactly what I saw.

The Gen 4 recoil spring has several features to separate it from the dual spring recoil system used for many years on the sub-compact "baby" Glocks. Those springs on baby's are very dependable and do reduce felt recoil below what might be expected for such a small, full-powered gun.

I'll bet Glock will have to "upgrade" (they never recall, just upgrade) their dual spring system in the Gen 4's. The end rivet will continue to pop loose from the plastic inner rod until it's engineered more secure.

It looks like Glock wanted to design a dual spring system for the Gen 4's that would add some stiffness to the dustcover area. A good idea, once it works well, to provide greater dependability for G-22's equipped with lights on the dustcover rail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom