getting a gun to me in another state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about flying to California to pick up a vehicle and drive it back. I know I cant have my CCW in cali, but I would like to have it on my way back. Anyone have any ideas of how I could get my CCW to myself once I reach Ariz? or can I buy one in Ariz without the wait? Does anyone know the law on that?

BW

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you flying out to CA? If you are just transport it with you to CA, and keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk of the car while in CA. I grew up there and everyone always makes it sound 100x worse than it actually is. As long as the gun is unloaded and locked away in the back of the car you will be alright. Also just follow the traffic laws and you won't have anything to worry about.

What part of CA are you going to?

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think bringing a gun into the state of CA was legal?If it is can I check a handgun on my check luggage when flying?

Would be flying into ontario.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you can take a gun into CA as long as it has a 10 round or less magazine. You can check a gun as long as it is in a hardsided case with locks (Check TSA and your airlines websites for more specific rules).

I just got back 2 weeks ago and I had flown both my 1911 and FNP-9 out there and went shooting with my brother.

primeoflife321

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't mean to hijack, but along the same lines as the OP question. I will be driving into hostile territory (NY/NJ)...I will have my CC all the way there but I plan on mailing it back home before I cross the imaginary line that makes me a crazed lunatic killer.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't mean to hijack, but along the same lines as the OP question. I will be driving into hostile territory (NY/NJ)...I will have my CC all the way there but I plan on mailing it back home before I cross the imaginary line that makes me a crazed lunatic killer.

You can not send a pistol via mail or common carrier back home, you are only allowed to ship handguns via common carrier to a licensed ffl. Do not think about entering New York with a firearm, they refuse to recognize even the FOPA which is supposed to guarantee safe passage through a state while transporting a firearm.

You are screwed.

primeoflife321

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can not send a pistol via mail or common carrier back home, you are only allowed to ship handguns via common carrier to a licensed ffl. Do not think about entering New York with a firearm, they refuse to recognize even the FOPA which is supposed to guarantee safe passage through a state while transporting a firearm.

You are screwed.

So I can't mail my own gun to myself? Wow...

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the OP I know super dave had a thread about this a while back he did the same thing with a motorcycle he bought in california. make sure your carry piece is 10 rounds or less so you are not violating the kommifornia penal code by importing a high capacity magazine, keep it locked in the trunk until you cross the line into arizona then you are good to go.

See the appropriate TSA regulations relating to traveling with a firearm in checked baggage. If you need to borrow a lockable pistol case give me a shout dubs you can borrow mine. I fly with a pistol all the time and it is not a problem. Rules vary by airline AA says no rounds in the magazine federal regs say its okay just travel with the mags unloaded. Ammo must be in a package designed to keep it from rolling around basically throw your ammo in it's original carton or a reloaders plastic box with individual round compartments put ammo. pistol and magazine in locked hard side case, declare at check in counter, fill out affidavit declaring it unloaded and follow the airline agents instructions on where to put the affidavit, some have said in the case with the firearms others say just in the checked bag on top of the pistol case, some AA agents have asked to see the firearm others have not. Be prepared to open your checked bag and open your pistol case if they ask. Wait around for about 10 minutes after they take your bag in case TSA wants you to open it(In 6 trips, 12 flights TSA has never asked me to do so).

Do not use a TSA lock on your pistol case. Do use a TSA lock on your checked bag.

I now there is not supposed to be any indicator of what is in your bag, but on one flight to new orleans the majority of the flights baggage did not arrive with the plane, even some first class passengers baggage did not make the flight but my bag arrived on my flight and we were flying cattle car rate. Common perception is that if you check a gun your bag is going to make it with you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom