What to do about a friend that won't call me back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you've been taking advantage of your friend and his position, and he finally got sick of it.

Stop stalking him. 2 phone calls and texts, after that you're just being creepy.
This is actually some really good advice for anyone living life and such.
Best wishes to you.

Just Let them.
If they want to choose something or someone over you, LET THEM.
If they want to go weeks without talking to you, LET THEM.
If they are okay with never seeing you, LET THEM.
If they are okay with always putting themselves first, LET THEM.
If they are showing you who they are and not what you perceived them to be, LET THEM.
If they want to follow the crowd, LET THEM.
If they want to judge or misunderstand you, LET THEM.
If they act like they can live without you, LET THEM.
If they want to walk out of your life and leave, hold the door open, AND LET THEM.

Let them lose you.
You were never theirs because you were always your own.
So let them.
Both of these 100% imo.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you've been taking advantage of your friend and his position, and he finally got sick of it.

Stop stalking him. 2 phone calls and texts, after that you're just being creepy.
Exactly! I had a "friend" just like that and his calls never get answered and he wonders why his other friends don't take his numerous calls. People don't like feeling used and have a breaking point. He is probably also upset that a simple fix(replacing ECM) turned into such a mess. He wanted to fix it the simple way and instead took on a complicated job his "tech kids" didn't know how to do, and probably didn't want to do. So, embarrassment, anger, and relationship fatigue are what he is feeling and the extra calls and messages made the problem exponentially worse.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly! I had a "friend" just like that and his calls never get answered and he wonders why his other friends don't take his numerous calls. People don't like feeling used and have a breaking point. He is probably also upset that a simple fix(replacing ECM) turned into such a mess. He wanted to fix it the simple way and instead took on a complicated job his "tech kids" didn't know how to do, and probably didn't want to do. So, embarrassment, anger, and relationship fatigue are what he is feeling and the extra calls and messages made the problem exponentially worse.

Concur. I've had friends like that in the past, and I have one currently. The "hooray for me and FU" wears pretty thin after a while, then eventually you forget why you ever took up with the leeches in the first place. Friendship is a 2 way street. I wonder if there was ever any pizza bought for the class. Lunches for the instructor or a dinner out for him and his wife. A subscription to a mechanics magazine for him or his class. Anything??

My current friend leach called a couple of days ago and told me I needed to buy some beer and come over, cause I hadn't been around to buy any beer for a couple of months. I just laughed and laughed and laughed. Every time he needs a favor, like a chain saw or a utility trailer (and the labor that goes with it) he's quick to call. Every single time I need a hand with something, he's busy. That **** wears ya slick after so long. He owes me an another "friend" a little over 5 grand between the 2 of us, and has for about 4-5 years. It's about time to start dunning him for the cash. That will stop the phone calls, and probably be the best money we ever spent.

Relationship fatigue is a real thing.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hes scared to death that your going to bring him something else to work on, I wouldnt respond either. Move on, and next time pay for the services if they are truly your friend.
I gave him several parts he needed for his 69 Charger he is restoring. I wired up plugs and lights and an air compressor in his shop building so he could work on his Charger. I've offered to take him hunting and help him get his first deer. I've helped him haul numerous old vehicles to his house and various other things. I've offered him extra money a couple times when work got done on a vehicle and he declined it.
I believe I have a fair trade of my work for his work.

And I don't see how I'm taking advantage of him cause of his position when I mentioned something about a vehicle needing some work done, and he said "bring it down". Whether it be an engine swap in a jeep, or a transmission swap in an caravan, or a rear axle swap in a jeep, he offered to bring it into the school.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The longer you wait the harder it gets. Obviously you were great friends, and it’s always awkward to reconnect after a period of time, even when both sides want to. It sounds like it wasn’t a one way deal/friendship, you both helped each other. If it means that much to you, just go see him, you’ll at least have closure, or a reunited friendship!

Latest posts

Top Bottom