Getting ready to reload 22-243 Need help from wildcatters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started a thread on the rifle forum about the gun. It had some problems, and the only way to save the barrel was to ream it from its original 22-250 to 22-243. Barrel is a 1/14 twist, is fluted, and doesn't touch the stock.

The conversion has been done, and I have ordered dies from Grafs.

Although I have done a good bit of rifle ammo reloading, this is my first true wildcat. I see good things about it as a coyote shooter, and that's primarily what it'll get used for.

I will likely have a lot of questions, but right now I am in that bad place of not knowing what I don't know.I do know that I need a selection of loading data which seems to be hard to find.

I have heard that case mouth thickness can be an issue resulting in high pressures and need to be schooled about that.

Do I need to anneal cases before reforming them? I have a Lyman T-Mag II that is plenty stout.

Can somebody suggest a good text or other info source on the 22-243 and on wildcatting in general?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older 22-243, built on a Winchester Model 70 LA, with a 14 twist barrel. I shoot a 55 gr Berger over 4350 powder @ 3840 fps. I'll have to check exact powder charge. The gun actually came with some loaded shells, and I've been reloading mainly those so far. Last time I loaded for it though, I actually used some new 243 brass; I don't think they are going to be a problem with the neck thickness, since I'm starting out new, according to what I've been told. My brass trim length is 2.035.

For doing a search for info or data, you might try looking for 22-243 Middlestead. Another site that has several local (Oklahoma) members with this caliber is www.okpredatorhunters.com. Some good guys on there with some good knowledge.

BTW, those Berger's are awesome coyote killers :)

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with neck thickness issues but I have read that it depends on how you cut the chamber. If your gunsmith knows he could tell you the neck diameter of his reamer and that would be a help. It will never be bad to have uniform neck thickness on your cases. It would help accuracy. If the barrel on your gun was really accurate before it might be worth buying a neck reamer. If you were just trying to save the cost of rebarreling the gun it would be best to make everything else involved as cheap and easy as you could. If you have no problems just necking down and loading and you are happy with the accuracy that would be good. That cartridge is an over bore cartridge and you may not get good barrel life out of the rechamber.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB, the factory 243 brass is thin enough to work without reamming. I have used some 7.62X51 military brass to form 243 and had to ream the necks on that. Taking that down to 22 cal would be problematic. Don't anneal before sizing down, you will have many more failures with the softened brass (Ask me how I know) Anneal it after you have decreased the neck diameter. A good way to start working up you load data if you don't have an established source is to weigh the water grain capacity of the 22-250 case and then the reformed 22-243 case. Calculate the percentage difference between the two cases and use that factor to come up with the starting load for the new stuff from the 22-250 load data. Hope that makes sense.. Blitzfike

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the 14 twist, you will be best off with the low to mid range of bullet weights (ie up to 60gn Vmax), but, it will sling them at a blistering pace! You should find that it will be a laser beam,once you find a load for it. They are wicked on coyotes, but due to the over bore, your bbl life will probably be around 3,000-3,500 rds +/-. Have fun, and listen to B.fike, he knows wht he is talking about.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The whole overbore/short barrel life thing has always been a nonfactor for me. So what if it only lasts 2,000-3,000 rounds. If it's what you want, enjoy, and have fun shooting, burn that tube out and then barrel it again. You'll find much more enjoyment in that, than a "moderate" speed round that you don't shoot that much because it doesn't do quite what you want it to do, who cares if that one will last 7,000 rounds, you'll never probably shoot it that much anyway. A rebarrel every now and then is a better investment for me than having a gun/cartridge combo that doesn't do what I want it to do. Good info in the above posts, by the way. Blast away!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The whole overbore/short barrel life thing has always been a nonfactor for me. So what if it only lasts 2,000-3,000 rounds. If it's what you want, enjoy, and have fun shooting, burn that tube out and then barrel it again. You'll find much more enjoyment in that, than a "moderate" speed round that you don't shoot that much because it doesn't do quite what you want it to do, who cares if that one will last 7,000 rounds, you'll never probably shoot it that much anyway. A rebarrel every now and then is a better investment for me than having a gun/cartridge combo that doesn't do what I want it to do. Good info in the above posts, by the way. Blast away!

This plus 1 from me. Yes barrels are expensive but not nearly a expensive as new guns and you get to order exactly what you want the way you want it. And to the op check out the reloaders nest forum. Lots of info for 22-243 load data on there. I like long barrels for rebarreling myself so when I toad the leade you can cut that off and rechamber the same way or something else. And when you rebarrel you get to work up new loads. You might consider trying some 53 gn vmax also. As someone else stated measure case capacity with water of a .22-250 and you might look at a swift case also as you're water capacity will be close to that of a .243. Good luck be safe and enjoy your new shooter.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a few guys shooting them and they are quite pleased with the performance. Great caliber and fairly easy for a wildcat caliber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom