Getting stronger, faster and better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought it might be a good view for some to check out Jocko Podcast #384 with Echo Charles and Dave Castro.
Conversation from the team’s prospective including civilian prospective regarding physical preparation for combat and our day to day lives.
Running, free weights, cross fit and shooting sports.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, physical fitness in the firearms and/or prepper community seems to be lacking on average. Thanks for the heads up on the podcast, I like listening to Jocko but missed that one.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll throw this out there, I know the average American way underestimates how important their personal physical fitness is when the flag flies.
I’m working on it, getting the pt moving in the right direction.
Regular trips to the range to work fundamentals.
Having a 22lr copy of your game time pistol and rifle really helps.
22 is relatively cheap and you can shoot a lot more rounds more often.
Need to modify your drills, practice transitions and trigger control.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave @swampratt some RR Iron couple years back, asking him to cut me a small piece off for a small anvil.

He brought this back to me and the top of it was polished to a smooth mirror finish. I kept it by my work bench to use and one day decided to see what it was like to use it to increase grip strength. It weighs right at 35lbs, and I started in on utilizing it by lifting it with one hand down to the stool then back to the work bench as shown in the photos.

I have worked with my hands my whole life and have had a strong grip, but as age increases we lose strength if not kept up.

It took a few weeks to start seeing the changes, but I worked it up to where I can grab it for 5 reps with 5 fingers, 4 reps with 4 fingers, 3 reps with 3 fingers and eventually a couple reps with 2 fingers. Alternating working each hand.

I will grip it at least a couple times a week and when I find that I cannot do the reps as stated above, I will do it every other day till I can do all the reps to 2 fingers easily. Then back to twice a week. It is surprising that the loss of grip strength starts eroding if not done for a couple weeks! That is indicative of the whole body as well.

It works bettter than any grip exercise I have ever done. Keeps my fingers hands and forearms in shape.

And keeps my Grip solid on my pistol.

IMG_5761.jpeg
IMG_5762.jpeg

Last edited:

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re not moving you’re probably dying. Add some running pushups or squats etc. to your training. It adds stress and you need to know how you shoot under stress. Here is a link to a video showing just one drill that is simple, adaptable and very relevant in your training. Regular exercise makes you a better shooter.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re not moving you’re probably dying. Add some running pushups or squats etc. to your training. It adds stress and you need to know how you shoot under stress. Here is a link to a video showing just one drill that is simple, adaptable and very relevant in your training. Regular exercise makes you a better shooter.

Gasp, wheeze, pant, puke, Bang!
Gasp, wheeze, pant, puke, Bang!
Gasp, wheeze, puke, puke, Bang!
Gasp, puke, puke, puke, Bang!

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If I had a knee left I'd run.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I wished on running. I ran 5 to 6 days a week till I was 53. But yes on keeping strength training up, it greatly helps in old age. Loved running as well as all the physical challenging sports!

Latest posts

Top Bottom