• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Glock 17, Rem 870 and police gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, if you have been selected to attend a reserve academy, you can use your commission card with GT distributors and buy a blue label Glock for under 400 new; shipping was $20 the last time I purchased from them. I'm surprised they want you to provide a shotgun. CLEET has stopped training new cadets the art of the shotgun.

That's pretty standard across the country, sadly. Our recruits used to get a week of shotgun. Now, it's a follow-on school, if you want it. ILEA (our version of CLEET) dropped shotguns out of their Basic Class a long time ago, other than a familiarization course. The big push is shotguns as a less-lethal launcher, rifles as the lethal long gun. We were highly encouraged to turn in our lethal shotguns to have them converted. A handful of us refused - I carry both a shotgun and rifle, but the shotgun is just there for breeching and putting down wildlife.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
That's pretty standard across the country, sadly. Our recruits used to get a week of shotgun. Now, it's a follow-on school, if you want it. ILEA (our version of CLEET) dropped shotguns out of their Basic Class a long time ago, other than a familiarization course. The big push is shotguns as a less-lethal launcher, rifles as the lethal long gun. We were highly encouraged to turn in our lethal shotguns to have them converted. A handful of us refused - I carry both a shotgun and rifle, but the shotgun is just there for breeching and putting down wildlife.

CLEET is the same way; a familiarization course is all new cadets get for shotgun and rifle.

We will run our new guys through an in house 3 day rifle course and touch pistol, shotgun, and less lethal in the other 2 days. We have transitioned all our shotguns to launchers. Only supervisors who want a lethal shotgun can carry one.

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLEET is the same way; a familiarization course is all new cadets get for shotgun and rifle.

We will run our new guys through an in house 3 day rifle course and touch pistol, shotgun, and less lethal in the other 2 days. We have transitioned all our shotguns to launchers. Only supervisors who want a lethal shotgun can carry one.

On a side note, I dig the way CLEET has your Firearms Instructor program setup. It looks like a pain to finish, but seems like one of the more complete state-level programs out there. The State of Indiana has fairly low standards for recruit-level firearms training, but allows departments to put whatever else they want into it. Most choose the bare minimum. Indianapolis goes all-in - our recruits get two weeks of handgun, and one week of sims. After that, they have access to a 5-day shotgun, a 5-day rifle, and a 2-day less lethal. Unfortunately, most dodge anything beyond the academy-mandated stuff, cry about having to go to do requals, and only about 40-50 of us take advantage of open range days/unlimited ammo on Fridays. Maybe 20 of us a year seek outside training, even though the dept will give us the time and ammo. I know that is par for the course in LE, but it's still sad.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 99.1%
109   1   0
Since the patrol rifle has went from optional to commonplace, the good ol' scattergun has been deemed "archaic" just like the sturdy, .38 caliber revolver for LE duties.

It probably all started with the famous (or infamous) LA/North Hollywood shootout of 1997. LAPD patrol officers, who were 1st on the scene were armed only with Beretta 92s and shotguns. If you'll recall, they were going to local gun shops and taking rifles off store shelves to combat the two heavily armed and armored bad guys.

Though it's been many years since, the idea of the potency and effectiveness of the shotgun vs the patrol rifle has been the subject of vast arguments, just like 9mm/.45ACP, Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi, yada, yada, yada.

Eventually, the patrol rifle won over the shotty and CLEET, in their infinite wisdom decided that there is no reason to teach shotgun any longer because no new cadet will ever use one instead of the AR-15, just like they don't teach revolver any longer. I hate it, but it kinda makes sense. I mean...for the most part, the bad guys aren't using wheelguns and shottys either.

Yup...times they are a changing.

Are you ready?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I boned up on a recap of the North Hollywood shootout; Wiki mentions a single Ithaca 37 pump shotgun being used. But it doesn’t say what type of rounds were used. Does anyone know if the officers attempted to use slugs?

Latest posts

Top Bottom