Good .308 Rifle for long range precision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv'e heard a lot of good things about TEXAS BRIGADE ARMORY's rifles. they are also a bit pricey. i just picked up a remington 700 AAC 308 and really like it. i'm a terrible shot, but have been really enjoyed firing this rifle. haven't had the chance to test it out long range, but plan on doing so soon

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends how much you want spend. For the $$ Savage has some accurate long range rifles. With that being said, my only 308 rifle for precision shooting is a Rem 700 LTR. Its very accurate, but my clubs range is only 200 meters.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to upgrade it to a true custom over time Remington700. If you want to get a decent rifle to shoot and nothing else get a Savage. If you've got the bank get a TRG-22 or AI AE Mk II in .308. If you're talking 1000 yards plus it's hard to beat something in 6.5mm.

Are you talking about benchrest, tactical long range shooting, long range varminting or what?

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not real sure. I was thinking a Remington 700 but didn't know which model. Also not sure about pouring money into it over time. It would be nice to buy something badass right from the start but dropping that much cash may be a little steep. I was thinking out to 600 yards. Maybe 800 or 1000 once I get into it more.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really have to figure out your budget and what you want to do with it. If you're gonna kill paper and reload I'd go with something in 6.5. I really like 6.5x47, but .260 will give you some option for factory ammo. If you will only be relying on factory ammo, definitely .308. Federal GMM is good stuff and the cost is pretty reasonable.

GAP makes a nice rifle, but in most cases it is just a custom R700. Steve and Jones can build you one of those. The factory rifles like the Sako TRG-22 and AI AE Mk II and AW will hold their value and be lights out shooters, but come at a price. The Sako and AE Mk II are gonna run you around $3k and the AW will be around $6k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom