Got a Coyote Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The son and I have been working to learn a little bit about predator hunting. He has been on two hunts with experienced callers, I was in on one of those. Well today we decided to give it a try on our own. Went to "the ranch" and gave it a whirl.

When we drove in around 8 this morning we saw two running parallel to us in the adjacent field. They were running because they saw us. Oops, busted!! :faint:

Anyway we set up and made a few stands. Did not see anything. Then on the fifth stand after about 10 minutes of calling the son spotted one trotting in (he is also the one who spotted the pair earlier). The coyote came in to about 50 yards then caught our scent.

We had set up to call cross wind. This coyote came in straight downwind of us where we did not expect it. She came in from a bad direction. She caught our scent and turned to gallop away. She was headed into some brush and I knew we would lose her quickly.

Thinking she was about to get away, I took a shot at her going straight away from me, at a good trot, and heading into some brush at about 60 yards by this time (range finder confirmed 60 yards). Ended up being just right of a Texas heart shot (I just learned about those this week!).

First shot dropped her but I did not see her go down. I knew either I got her or she had disappeared into the brush. Did not know which. Son said she dropped so we trailed her. A second shot finished the job.

She looked to be a young female. Had a very nice coat on her. We had a great time even if we had come up empty. We're both looking forward to a return trip. :D

I'll get up a pic later. I have to go get the film developed. :laugh6: j/k.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! I just sat thru a predator calling seminar at BassPro on Thursday evening. Okhunter and his friend, Travis(I think), discussed coyote and bobcat hunting. Travis said that most of the time coyotes will come in from down wind. Also, the guys said be prepared to shoot before you even start to call because there's always a chance that a yote or bobcat will run in immediately as you start calling.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was using a Savage 16 series in .223. Daniel was using a Browning BLR in .243. "The ranch" is between Watonga and Seiling in western Oklahoma. There is some brush there but most of it is open space.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a good shot on a running coyote. Hope that is the first of many for you. From now on, always expect them to come in from downwind. Be surprised if they come in from upwind. If I have my choice on which way to watch, it will always be downwind.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good job. It's nice to hunt with family- great to tighten the bond. Wish I'd of known bout the seminar at bass pro.... At the broken arrow location?

Yes, the BA location. It was packed which surprised me a little. Scott did an excellent job presenting. There was talk of doing another seminar in a month but I have no idea whether it will happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom