Graduation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulation on your graduation!

I will go slightly against the grain here...

Don't just go to college because its what it expected, or it is what everyone else is doing, or thinking it will get you another four years of fun before the real world. Do put some real thought into what you want to do in life, what interests you, etc. Don't be afraid to explore or at least consider other paths first. But don't waste too much time figuring it out either. You have the most freedom and ability to try things at a young age before you are tied down with other commitments in life. If you do not have a direction of what you want in life, do not expect to "find" it at college. Don't be fooled by those who will say to "discover yourself" or "find out who you really are." Now is the time when you get to make yourself into who you want to be.

College was the worst investment I ever made, especially grad school, law school, etc. I currently hold about 12 certifications that I can tack on behind my name. You know how much money that has made for me? Maybe a couple hundred thousand at best. Starting and running my own companies has been much more successful and rewarding personally. Don't go to college because you think you will make more money. As college costs have risen, salaries have not risen on par resulting in skewed cost/benefit results that are not favorable, especially if student loans are part of your plan to pay to go. I would strongly advise against student loans at all, but definitely not for any thing over tuition. Loans for "living expenses" are a trap that you will regret being in for years.

Go to college and get a basic business degree unless you really think you want to be in a field which needs a specialized degree. While it may be cool on campus to study "liberal arts" or "philosophy" or "history" its not as cool when it comes to being able to make money, which is what you are going to be trying to do for the next 40+ years of your life.

Don't think college life should always be a party. Get a job. I worked 30 hours a week and never until my last semester took less than 18 credit hours. And I still had a blast. Now, with hindsight, I can look back and say that of all the people I knew in college, those who worked during it are more successful now than those who did not.

Lastly, date all you want, but do not even think of getting married for at least another 10 yrs. Trust me on that one. It can cost you even more money than the student loan trap I mentioned earlier.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats man!

My advice: don't bother with college. As close as "the plan" is to fruition, I doubt we have anywhere close to 4 more years. Just get whatever BS job you can, work overtime, and spend all your money on SHTF supplies. Maybe if you survive the revolution you can go back to school and have all the parties and wormens you missed out on. :D

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations!!
IF you decide on college just so you know the first year is a pain in the *** I have right to say that I just finished my first year, but once you start don't stop. As others have said get a job. I only took 14 hours this last semester and about failed everyone of my classes because I was board out of my mind, I had way to much free time. Picked up a welding job working between 15-30 hours a week (depending on the week) and ended up pulling all my grades back up didn't fail any (but will have to retake one for GPA reasons) nuff said on that

Unless you can find a chick that is a 12 out of 10 to live with on campus tell them to shove it, for on campus housing. There is all the drunks that come in after midnight, people that don't understand that when I can get a foot massage off the wall when they are 4 doors down because of their music I want it turned down, people that go to the bathroom and don't know how to aim and you come along and stepping/sitting in it......, if one person on the floor tears something up everyone has to pay for it. I got lucky and had a good roommate so can't complain about that but that would be another thing to factor in. The only upside I found was it was only a 5 min walk to class but in my case I would walk 30 min to avoid all the listed above. Plus it is over double the price on campus as off if you don't live within one block of campus, move 5-10 blocks out and the price cuts in half.

As for meal plan..... Another rip off again tell them to shove it, either carry cash or go get you a credit card with a small limit and pay it off every month and keep track of what you spend. All those sodas add up really quick at 2 buck a pop. Get meals off campus if possible they will be almost half price of on campus.

Parking pass... Learn how to ride the bus/ride a bike/walk and find someplace free to park not worth the tickets you get on campus for doing the littlest thing wrong. I got a ticket this past semester for backing into a parking space and the fine was $40 and for that I could have rode the bus the whole semester.
of :rantoff

Best of luck to you

Latest posts

Top Bottom