Grand Canyon - South Rim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Our 8 year old is the same way...I'm not convinced he won't try to find a way to parachute to the bottom with a bed sheet.

:ooh2:

There are the old steps you can take to the bottom. There is a turn around spot a little ways down in case you change your mind. And you can't miss the numerous signs telling you to turn around because it's the same distance up as it is down.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We stayed in Williams in RV park, but HIGHLY recommend the evening, campfire horseback ride through Kaibab National Forest. The mule rides to the canyon bottom book over a year in advance.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely make sure you do the Meteor Crater, painted desert/petrified forest. The forest is about an hour outside of the Grand canyon I believe. Completely amazing, unlike anything you could imagine. They close early, so plan ahead.

I agree with putting those on the list but would add more travel time. MapQuest shows 3.5 hours travel time from the Petrified Forest to the South Rim via I-40 to Williams and north. The Meteor Crater is west of the Petrified Forest.

Two other good stops: a knife shop in a former Stuckey's location on I-40 and Winslow AZ of the Eagles song fame. In Winslow, visit the former Santa Fe Railroad depot - great southwest architecture and really good restaurant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom