Grandson's first deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maddox was shooting his father’s .223 ackley with a 80.5 gr., Berger full bore target handload. The gun was sitting on a tripod to assure a stable rest. Huckleberry removed as many variables as possible to assure that Maddox would be successful. The nut fell vertical, if you get my drift. The bullet turned into a grenade upon impact.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not been able to sit down with him since the hunt to visit with him about his experience. Sunday night he may be able to sit in the blind with me while I wait on a specific buck that is about 60 pounds lighter than Chili Jr to come in. Chili Jr is pictured on the left here. Biggest deer I have ever killed. Huckleberry and I agreed that he was around 225 pounds and a heavy 7 point. Maddox has a buck tag to fill during rifle season. He may be shooting my Remington 6 mm or back on the .223 ackley. Yes Glock 'em down he is going to follow in our foot steps.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw the most incredible movement of deer this year between 3:00pm and dark today. My grandson had a mature 9 point come in at a steep angle and had to hold off taking the shot. Too risky of crippling this magnificent animal. I am so proud of my son for coaching his son tonight.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle is a Beanland built 223AI with a Defiance Deviant Action, 7 twist Rock Creek bbl @ 21", Manners EH1 Elite stock and a Suppressed Armament Systems Claymore suppressor. Pushing an 80.5gn Berger Fullbore match bullet at 2888fps with 25.0gn of IMR-8208XBR in Lapua Brass and a CCI-450. For Maddox, I pulled it out of the Manners stock and dropped it into an XLR Element chassis so I could get the LOP down to fit him. This rifle regularly shoots honest 1/4moa groups and has posted a few in the 0.1's when the nut behind the bolt is on his game. Jon Beanland builds one helluva rifle. This is not the first he has built me and certainly wont be the last. I posted a pic of the rifle on its DOB, along with a comparison of its loaded fodder and projectile next to a WWB standard 55fmj. You can see that there is a world of difference between the two.
223AI (3).jpg
20181107_213628.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rifle is a Beanland built 223AI with a Defiance Deviant Action, 7 twist Rock Creek bbl @ 21", Manners EH1 Elite stock and a Suppressed Armament Systems Claymore suppressor. Pushing an 80.5gn Berger Fullbore match bullet at 2888fps with 25.0gn of IMR-8208XBR in Lapua Brass and a CCI-450. For Maddox, I pulled it out of the Manners stock and dropped it into an XLR Element chassis so I could get the LOP down to fit him. This rifle regularly shoots honest 1/4moa groups and has posted a few in the 0.1's when the nut behind the bolt is on his game. Jon Beanland builds one helluva rifle. This is not the first he has built me and certainly wont be the last. I posted a pic of the rifle on its DOB, along with a comparison of its loaded fodder and projectile next to a WWB standard 55fmj. You can see that there is a world of difference between the two.
View attachment 126771 View attachment 126772

I've shot one of your rifles way out there. This one looks pretty impressive. :hey3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom