Great day flathead fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have caught several 10 to 15 lb,one 20 and a 26 that was my personal best.I got a well to do down by fort cobb okla summer of 2010 about 7 mile from washita river.I told self that i was going to try very hard to catch at least a 30lber while i was there wich was going to be 6 months or longer since it was going to be a very deep well 26,000'.after 40 trips to river 10 of them being all nighters i learn that my best fishing was from around dark to midnight i had caught 53 fish both blues & flats wieghing 10 to 20 lbs i was thinking mabye there is no 30 lbers around here but i knew better someone had caught a 45 on limbline a week before my quest.we had got a good rain and river was coming up i knew where there was a big creek feeding into river i had read that where a creek runs into river it is a good place to fish so i got permission and caught some bait (bluegills) by now it is 1pm had to walk a 1/2 mile with all my gear to get to that spot,got there and to make a long story short i caught a 31,20,one that was a monster that i had on for about 10 mins and pulled hook loose (big one always get away lol) think it was blue though and the 35 lb,the 31 was turned loose and i kept the 35lb one of only 10 fish i kept that summer turned rest loose even though i sure like flatheads its like eating a monster crappie.from the time i left my truck and got back to it it was 4 hrs greatest day of fishing i ever had.now i will be on a mission to catch a 40 lber its almost like hunting big whitetails

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i tried to post pics with this story and it kept telling me my file was to big ?? to post them i will keep try to figure it out anyone have any ideas story no good at all without pics

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the story is still good without pics...makes my mouth water.i think i will thaw out some fish..as i have not caught any fresh since december:crying:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I agree with ya. There ain't nothin better than a big ol flathead. People can keep them blues and channels all they want, but my choice is flathead. Doesn't matter if you're catching them on rod and reel, jugs, noodlin or hoop net, it is a blast.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics from Deer 27/4

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_35lbflathead.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_31lbflathead.jpg

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a problem...!

How do those things taste anyhow..? I've never eaten a catfish over 5 lbs or so..!

Do you fillet em like you would a small catfish..?

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not a problem...!

How do those things taste anyhow..? I've never eaten a catfish over 5 lbs or so..!

Do you fillet em like you would a small catfish..?

channels and blues are ok from about 1 to 5 lbs,but a flat is good eating no matter how bit they get. i have eaten some that where 50 plus and they are very good yes you can fillet just like a small one trim the red meat out the center and cut into small peices and fry them up oh how i wish i had some in freezer i might keep more this summer and blacken is also great and healther

Latest posts

Top Bottom