Gun Culture 2.0 Liberals Should Avoid These Arguments About Guns in America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://gunculture2point0.wordpress...-avoid-these-arguments-about-guns-in-america/

By David Yamane

Like many Americans, I reluctantly watched events unfolding recently at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, site of the NRA’s annual meeting. In our polarized gun debates, the two extremes were on full display, literally divided by Avenida De Las Americas. Ted Cruz, Donald Trump, and other (mostly) conservatives planted the flag for gun rights inside the convention center. Outside on Discovery Green, David Hogg, Beto O’Rouke, and other (mostly) liberals rallied the crowd for gun control. Neither side could or cared to hear the other.

I am a “card-carrying” liberal sociologist who became a gun owner in my forties and have been studying American gun culture since then. I have a foot in both worlds that see guns very differently. This allows me to hear how things said from one side in America’s great gun debate are heard by the other.

I understand the desire to do something, anything, in the face of exceptional and everyday tragedies involving guns. I feel the urge to scream out in anger and lash out in pain at those who appear to be standing in the way of progress. But as someone who has gotten to know a great many normal American gun owners over the past decade, I want to encourage my fellow liberals to be mindful of what they say in response to mass shootings, especially if they want to improve our national conversation about guns and find a way forward. … continued at the link above.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The two sides of the gun control issue will never come together to agree on anything, because the left is totally irrational in the fairy tale world they think gun control will produce.
Look at countries like England that have gun control, and now they’re having to enact knife control. Evil people are going to evil things whether it’s with a gun, a knife, a machete, a car, a piece of pipe, or a freaking rock.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The two sides of the gun control issue will never come together to agree on anything, because the left is totally irrational in the fairy tale world they think gun control will produce.
Look at countries like England that have gun control, and now they’re having to enact knife control. Evil people are going to evil things whether it’s with a gun, a knife, a machete, a car, a piece of pipe, or a freaking rock.
Can’t fix stupid unless a Democrat starts voting Republican.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And the left thinkers have the same opinion that Pro-2A supporters are irrational.

David Yamane makes some good points and we could use those points when talking to liberals that aren’t as supportive about gun rights issues. Personally, I believe there is opportunity to have meaningful discussions with liberal and conservative people on a one-on-one basis rather than letting the media and anti-2A organizations control the narratives.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the left thinkers have the same opinion that Pro-2A supporters are irrational.

David Yamane makes some good points and we could use those points when talking to liberals that aren’t as supportive about gun rights issues. Personally, I believe there is opportunity to have meaningful discussions with liberal and conservative people on a one-on-one basis rather than letting the media and anti-2A organizations control the narratives.

I will pass its been tried before no reason to hoe that row again . I am no longer interested in discussion or compromising with the left on the topic. In fact I will go so far as to say the reason we got in this spot to begin with was talking with and then compromising with the other side on "reasonable measures" over many decades.

I want my cake back.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The libs won't admit that it is NOT middle-class, republican voters who are committing most of the gun violence. Their voters and prospective voters terrorize the entire country with violent crime, and then when our side wants the right to defend ourselves, they instead work to make it easier for their voters to victimize us (and them too).

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are two basic camps of gun control advocates.
The stupid ones that think it will actually make it a better world.
The evil ones that know they have to disarm the population in order to implement their draconian agenda.
Same as the greenies

Latest posts

Top Bottom