Gun Show Dec. 31, Jan. 1 at the OKC Fairgrounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not know what show you guys went to, but we sold almost non stop. Talking to the other vendors they said it was the best show for them in 2011. Yes, if you are one of those that expected people to give items away and pay you the new retail price of a Colt plus some for your used Hipoint that you shot for several years, yes gun shows will be not be what you want to go to. I did not talk to anyone that felt they were not getting a great deal.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Works well for the few good sellers, Mark. You and Kings were the best two there. There were a few other good sellers but not that much. Definitely a seller's show, not a buyer's show. It's all about which side of the table you are on.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is the beginnig of an election year, those that can not remember 4 years ago, this is they way it started then.

Good shows verses bad shows, and which side of the table you are on. Good shows for vendors bring more vendors out, if the vendors are not making sales and a profit, then they do not come back. If vendors are making sales, that means the public is buying. So it is also a good show for the public.

Have you ever thought about coming to the other side of the table and showing us how it is done? Invest your money, but remember you must keep your prices low so that the public will say it is a good show, but wait, now you are loosing money, because you do not have enough to pay for the table space rent and the people that work for you, where does that money come from, not your profits because now there are none, but at least you have the public all thinking you are great because you gave them all a great deal. You now need to invest more of your money, until it gets to the point of not having any.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I like going to the shows, some are good, some not so good. It's pretty simple, if you don't like them don't go. I've found Mark and a few others offer fair prices, some try to gouge. Knowledgeable buyers just laugh and pass them by.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went today. Just a average show with not alot of "private collections" more dealers...thats ok just dont find a steal at a dealer normally. I did buy my g/fs Dad a knife...it cost $30 and he told us it was a 1955...Well we looked it up on the net when we got home and its a current production $12 knife. I knew I shouldnt have got since it was just a USA made Schade sp? but he (her Dad) liked it. Pisses me off a dealer makes up a VERY elaborite LIE to make $18. He was telling us the handles were some magic rare stuff and he had the boxes but they "just fell apart because they were soooo old...I have a old safe not one of those airtight ones...." Bottom line is his story was scamy sounding but I got it because he liked it. Just goes to show some of the dealers/table people are not honest...i know...no s%%^. He was on the far side with 2 or 3 tables of knives. But all in all we had fun and I joined the NRA and bought his membership also. (Hell only 13 more to join than to get in to the show) So thats pretty cheap for 12 magazines and a NRA hat

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Paul knives, I have purchased quite a few at gun shows, and I know I have paid a premium price to the vendors. I like carrying the same one, so when I find it I buy it. My problem is I keep loosing them, some where either in my home or shop there is a pile of knifes I have lost waiting to be found.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is the beginnig of an election year, those that can not remember 4 years ago, this is they way it started then.

Good shows verses bad shows, and which side of the table you are on. Good shows for vendors bring more vendors out, if the vendors are not making sales and a profit, then they do not come back. If vendors are making sales, that means the public is buying. So it is also a good show for the public.

Have you ever thought about coming to the other side of the table and showing us how it is done?

Mark,

I understand what you are saying and I am sure I have been on the "unreasonable customer expectation" side more than once. However, I still don't fully understand the prices that dealers seem to want to offer in trade or "store credit" so please explain how that calculation is made.

For example: I have pistol "X" for sale, on GunBroker a comparable sold (not listed) 5 times in the last week for $350, local stores list it for $380-$400, I want to trade plus cash for a pistol that is ticketed at $400.00 and I offer my pistol plus $50. Rather than come back with oh, lets say a Pistol plus $100.00, I routinely either have them say to me or witness (I like to observe the dealers dealings with others as market research/due diligence on my part) them offer perhaps $175 in credit and ask for an additional $225.

I don't expect you to answer this specific example since you weren't there but what is the dealer calculation that takes place? Assume no fraud or misrepresented condition. If two honest guys are trying to come to a deal what is the "dealer side" of the discussion? Am I paying nuisance fees, some kind of assumed risk factor? What do dealers use to gauge reasonable selling/buying prices? And so forth.

VR,

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a very good question.

I do not take trade ins unless it is something really cool, or a Colt that I may want to add to my collection. That is just me.

A very good rule of thumb when taking items in on trade or buying an item as a seller is demonstrated on the Series Pawn Brokers or Traders. You will notice that he usally give 1/2 of apprasied value. Why, it is because he now has to market a used item, working or not, he has overhead to pay to clean up, make repairs, advertize, rent space etc. to sell that item.

In most cases with firearms, the item the customer is selling is one that is not what others want, or the customer wants because he is getting rid of it. So that item will sit on the self with the vendors money tied up in it, sometimes for years until he finds a buyer that wants that weapon. That vendor can on the other hand purchase a new weapon that everyone wants from a distributor, and sell it fast getting his money back to do it again.

My problem in the past has been paying too much for a used weapon or taking it in on trade for too much and I end up selling it at a loss to me.

Using a gun Bible or blue book assessing the condition of the weapon, then giving 1/2 of the value is common practice. If you want more sell it as a vendor, rent a table at a show and sell all your weapons that you do not want any more. Or walk around the gun show and try to sell it to others, not vendors. Or place an ad on OSA or Armslist. You will find that if your weapon is priced to high it will sit, if you price it too low it will sell fast. If it is something like a High point, Jamenez, or RG good luck, because most people do not want to spend their money on them, unless they are looking for something and they have very little money to work with, or they do not know what they are.

I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom