Gunbroker shill bidders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've stopped buying from GB for the same reason. I had to for a Christmas present and the shill bidding almost got me when I got caught up in just trying to win because it was a present. Luckily I came to my senses and stopped and found it with a buy it now for much less than I had bidded. .30 Remington is hard to find.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With ANY auction, know what you are bidding on, know your MAX bid and stick to it. Don't get caught up in the frenzy and panic.

Last second scalping is as old as online auctions.

Preaching to the choir, but these things happen all the time.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to buy and sell a bunch of stuff on GB, but that was years ago. The only things I even look for on there now is rare or hard to find stuff. I bought a 1983 model CVA “Squirrel” 32 cal muzzleloader off GB a few weeks ago and was enlightened by their new taxing policy. Needless to say, It’s going to have to be a real “need” or strong “want” before I buy anything else off there. :censored:

Same with eBay. I used to buy all my clothes off eBay, but if I’m going to have to pay tax, I might as well buy locally.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make most of my income through auctions. Shill bidding happens a lot online and at in-person auctions. I just wait until the very end to place my bid and it usually works. I've also seen live auctioneers ghost bid eager people up. If you bid early, you allow more bidders to talk themselves into it and you allow the seller to jack the price up.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've purchased a few items on GB, mostly ammo. I just wait for the final day.....if the price is in the ball park of what I'm willing to pay I place my Max bid and let it go at that. works out about 1/2 the time.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with 918evo on the live auction ghost bid thing. I got suspicious of this at an antique auction and left my seat to stand at the side of the room close to the front. I was promptly asked to move. I made it clear why I moved and the auction dude got snippy. I stood at the back to see all bidders. The BS seemed to stop.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...When I bid on surplus equipment, I wait to the last seconds or minute to bid.

Yep. I do the same. It's also called 'sniping' on an auction.
On ebay - regardless if there are no bidders or multiple bidders - I drop 1 bid with less then 10 seconds left on the auction.

The GB 15-minute rule changes this a little, but if you bid days-earlier it allows shills to work.
If you drop your 1 bid at the 15 minute mark - it'd be pretty obvious if the shills come out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom