Guns in cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are always questions about how to conceal carry in a car. I personally carry IWB on my right side which would make it difficult to access my gun should the need arise.

My question is? What is the rule for having a gun in your car? can you have it accessable for emergency use and not have it concealed here in Oklahoma, or are we required to always have it concealed?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember that if you have so much as a napkin covering the gun it is concealed.

I carry at the four and six oclock position and that isn't raeal comfortabe or easy to get to either while driving.

I have a nylon holster I put my pistol in and it fits between my e-brake and console perfect while driving. I have a black lense cloth that came with a rifle scope I can place over it or would throw it in my glove box should I get pulled over etc.

It will either get locked in the glove box while at work or carried out concealed with me from the car anywhere else.

However; I have not been pulled over in more than 15 years and think there is a direct relationship to my driving habits and that fact. "Knock on wood..."

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA licenses you for concealed carry of a handgun.

Now perhaps you understand why I want the criminal penalties for open carry removed in OK, particularly concerning anything that is MY property.

I suggest you do not plan to handle your gun during a traffic stop at all, but especially not to hide it while you are stopping. Most LEO are familiar with what those motions look like. IANAL

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that if you have so much as a napkin covering the gun it is concealed.

. . .

However; I have not been pulled over in more than 15 years and think there is a direct relationship to my driving habits and that fact. "Knock on wood..."

Don't bet on avoiding a traffic stop. On both the last two weekends I've bumped into a DL/Insurance/alcohol compliance roadblock. Both were at dark or just a few minutes after. One manned by OHP and the other by county deputies. Practice your "I have a carry permit and I'm carrying". Both stops were professional and had me back on my way in less than two minutes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had to draw my gun once while seated in the drivers seat (at a stop light) from an IWB under an untucked shirt. It's doable and fast, with the right motivation. :)

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your car should be treated EXACTLY like your home. You don't need a "license" to carry in your home, why should you have to be "licensed" to carry a weapon in your car.

I understand the safety of our LEO's is foremost but I have a problem anytime we are told how and when we can be armed and the stipulations for such carry.

BC

bashed1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your car should be treated EXACTLY like your home. You don't need a "license" to carry in your home, why should you have to be "licensed" to carry a weapon in your car.

Because your home doesn't sit on a public street. I'm all for concealed carry permits being issued to law-abiding citizens, but using BurkLee's logic would extend a homeowner's rights (i.e.; against unlawful entry and illegal search and seizure) to their vehicle and therefore extend the same protections to any and everything they could stuff into their car with no prior background checks or screening - I just don't think that would be wise.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because your home doesn't sit on a public street. I'm all for concealed carry permits being issued to law-abiding citizens, but using BurkLee's logic would extend a homeowner's rights (i.e.; against unlawful entry and illegal search and seizure) to their vehicle and therefore extend the same protections to any and everything they could stuff into their car with no prior background checks or screening - I just don't think that would be wise.

You are probably right I just get sideways when I start thinking about having to ask for a license to carry a gun ANYWHERE.

BC

HEY, POST NUMBER 1000! KEWL

Latest posts

Top Bottom