Had a squib load at IPSC shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot IPSC Sat morning with my .45acp. I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds, but while in the shoot, I pulled the trigger, and got a snap. I thought I was empty, and did a reload, but when I pulled the slide back an empty brass came out. The RO stopped the match, and I checked and found a squib load with the bullet trapped in the barrel.
If I had fired again, a disastrous malfunction would have occurred.
My thanks to the RO for being so observant.
My new christmas wish list will include a digital scale, where I'll weigh each round prior to shooting to make sure this never happens again. I know there are other factors that can cause a round to not go off at full power, but not having powder in the case will not happen to me again.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot IPSC Sat morning with my .45acp. I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds, but while in the shoot, I pulled the trigger, and got a snap. I thought I was empty, and did a reload, but when I pulled the slide back an empty brass came out. The RO stopped the match, and I checked and found a squib load with the bullet trapped in the barrel.
If I had fired again, a disastrous malfunction would have occurred.
My thanks to the RO for being so observant.
My new christmas wish list will include a digital scale, where I'll weigh each round prior to shooting to make sure this never happens again. I know there are other factors that can cause a round to not go off at full power, but not having powder in the case will not happen to me again.

This might be a little tough to do as case weight and bullet weight can differ as much as your powder weight can be.......kinda hard to judge.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This might be a little tough to do as case weight and bullet weight can differ as much as your powder weight can be.......kinda hard to judge.

I load 5 gr of Unique under 200 gr cast bullets, so I'm thinking if a round comes up a grain or two under the others, it needs to be looked at.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, an easier and better way is to the see the powder charge in every case before seating a bullet. This applies to single-stage or progressive pistol ammo reloading. DC is right, you'd be surprised at the variation in the weight of brass pistol cases.

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this sounds odd, but My dad used to use a "no go guage". He used an old pencil that was unsharpened and shortened. It was marked and graduated for each powder charge. Just lightly drop it into each shell after you load the powder. If it drops too far no powder, if it doesn't go all the way too much. To the mark, just right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom