Has the days of my word is my bond really becoming history

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RG22lr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been burned several times in the past few years. If you are like most of the members here you are of the "My word is my bond" type. But I have also been burned by a few members on here and when I am I usually leave them feedback to match.So why don't we start policing our own. Like if you get burned on a transaction. Maybe we could get the Mods to hand out some suspensions for documented cases and at least this would make people think before they burn another member. Just a thought.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the Entitlement Generation. " It might screw you, but as long as I get what I want." Times have changed. If I give my word, I mean it. I will say that I have had very good luck with most all of the OSA people I have met. I have only had one deal really go south. I try to always give people the benefit of the doubt, and I understand that things happen. I agree with the earlier statement that a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP is very correct. And this reply is a I may sound like I am on a soap box for my late father and I am because of what he did in his life. He was a small town banker first in Lone Wolf then in Hobart and back and forth since he had dealings with both banks. I remember almost ever evening or so someone coming by the house while we had supper, yes in those days it was supper. They came by because they were hardworking people who worked for others and could not get to the bank before closing. One of the best testimonials to my Dad was a few years ago and I attended a 60's reunion in Hobart. Yes, I am from Lone Wolf originally, but graduated from HS in Hobart.
It was a weekend thing for all classes. Friday evening was a get together and my wife being from Midwest City sat at a table with other wives. A Black lady sat down next to my wife and saw her name tag and saw the last name and the lady asked her if she was related to my Dad, Oren. Mrs. LW said yes he was my late father in law. The lady just went wild, not really but said your husband must meet my husband. Well, Mrs. LW came and grabbed me and took me to the lady who in turn took me to her husband. He is 7 years older but I remembered him. He went on and on how he could come by after work and Dad would tend to his business and no paperwork was there to sign, but they shook hands always. Dad knew and trusted people and gave them the benefit of the doubt and they never let him down. In his many years of banking I know he only had one bad deal and he eventually collected on that, but that is another story. Just saying, there are no more small town bankers, well, I really can't say that if the small town banks are still privately owned.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's sad to say, but, I DTA (don't trust anyone). I believe that a person is only as good as their word, and most people are only good for a crap. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but seems most don't deseve that much. People are just out for themselves, and don't give a damn about anything but the almighty dollar! I've found that if you can count your friends on ONE hand, you truely are lucky. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a thought. You don't know me nor what I do in my part time job being retired. I have found I can't trust anyone on a gun range with a loaded weapon. Maybe, I am just old and paranoid, but I agree with you.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My step-dad told me a story once about when he was a young man in the early 60s and went to get his first loan. He grew up very poor in the Ozarks but came from a family that when they gave you their word that was better than gold. Prior to enlisting in the ARMY, he hadn't experienced much of the world outside of Sallisaw. When the banker asked him if he had collateral, my dad had no idea what the man meant. The banker asked him something to the effect of "How do I know that you will pay me back?" Of course my dad being naive replied "because I just looked you in the eyes and told you that I would".

Latest posts

Top Bottom