Have you ever heard of Fort Nichols, Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
When I was a kid ,(a long, long time ago) my dad took me to Camp Nichols, where we got permission from the land owner. I used my low-end metal detector. I found a Minnie ball (I think that that's what that type of slug is called,) a soldered can lid, a forced padlock and several links of brass chain, and some pieces of old bottle glass. I don't member if there was anything else. I still have the stuff. I have wanted to return out to the present land owner or to a museum.

the museum in Kenton is a nice little place.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thats why I don’t get to be a Cherokee in the eyes of the Government. My kin left before the trail of tears and went Northwest to Kansas and Nebraska. “The Lost Cherokee” are now trying to get recognition but as far as I know it’s been of no use.

My family moved prior to the trail of tears as well and I have my CDIB have 2 sisters that are blonde with blue eyes and maybe green it’s been awhile since I’ve seen either of them.

The Lost Cherokee can somewhat be traced to the a group of Cherokees that had broken from the tribe in oklahoma and attempted to allay with the President of Mexico but things didn’t work out and Sir Richard Fields, Chief is the Texas Cherokees and one of the last Cherokee War Chiefs was killed by his own tribe on the banks of a river in Nacadoges, Texas (spelling is close, lol) Sir Richard Fields is my great grandfather’s dad or grandpa.

We are blessed to have a family cemetery in Dodge, Oklahoma where my family settled. It is tough to prove but worth the effort. You may not need anything but your children might one day, or who knows their children might need help or just curious about where their family came from.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
The coments above show there is still contriversy over this event. Undoubetly there are parts of this story that are lost for ever to history, and many different sides to a story like this, but kinda like the Russians invading Ukraine, this barbaric act was UNJUSTIFIABLE then, and still is!!!!!!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The coments above show there is still contriversy over this event. Undoubetly there are parts of this story that are lost for ever to history, and many different sides to a story like this, but kinda like the Russians invading Ukraine, this barbaric act was UNJUSTIFIABLE then, and still is!!!!!!

dang man, all I was talking about was a damn fort.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
GOOD, you learned something didn't you? The conversation someg how went to the trail of tears, just commenting on that! I learned something from your comment on the fort, that I didn't know! THANKS!

I spoke to my dad about my family history on the Trail of Tears. My dad said his great grandmother told my grandmother a story about when she was a little girl that she remembers the walk and they came to a big river (I assume the Mississippi River) and during the crossing most of the soldiers weren’t paying much attention to who was there and who wasn’t anymore. That’s when her family went off course and didn’t go to Oklahoma and went NW instead.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spoke to my dad about my family history on the Trail of Tears. My dad said his great grandmother told my grandmother a story about when she was a little girl that she remembers the walk and they came to a big river (I assume the Mississippi River) and during the crossing most of the soldiers weren’t paying much attention to who was there and who wasn’t anymore. That’s when her family went off course and didn’t go to Oklahoma and went NW instead.
Apparently there were several different trails, and modes of transportation used, some were transported some of the way by river boat. some were forced to walk, etc. All I know about this event is what I have read, and there are many different accounts some true, and some untrue. Knowing our TRUE history helps us learn form our mistakes, and our sucesses! don't you think?

Latest posts

Top Bottom