Have You Patterned Your Home Defense Shotgun Yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you patterned your shotgun?

• Yes ... Always pattern my Shotty. I know exactly what I'm going to hit at what distance

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • No ... Never pattern my Shotty. scatterguns only require being pointed in general direction

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • What's a pattern?

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No... But I will

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've patterned mine, yes.

By the way, a shotgun slug makes a single hole :D

Yes, I have.

BTW, checking some NEW slugs I just got. Old 1 1/4 lead slugs shot 3" high at 20 yrds and dead on at 10 and 75 ??????
New 1 oz solid copper slugs shot dead on at 20 and 75, but 1" low at 10.

HD load is 1 1/2 oz of 5s. Will not penetrate walls at 20', but guaranteed to attitude adjust any intruder.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
holy sh**t .. 1 oz copper slugs is an armour piercing round .. that would NOT be good for home defense.
seems to me you'd want low threat of unwanted collateral damage.

no expansion in this test

Last edited by a moderator:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not using slug for HD. Just acquired the copper slugs and was checking POI.

HD load is 1 1/2 oz #5s, as stated. Because they will not penetrate and cause collateral damage, but extremely destruction to those requiring lead injections for attitude adjustment.

Was reloading 3" 1 7/8oz 7 1/2's and spreader wad, but did not like shooting them, they had a bit of kick to them
But, what a cloud of lead.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the longest hallway in your house?

8 yards = 24 feet Not very far, but inside a house it is probably the longest range you will have if the unthinkable ever happens.
I believe I read somewhere that somewhere like 80% or more of self defense shootings happen within 6 feet. I can't remember where I read that at though so don't quote me on it. I know that there are slot of people actually believe you don't have to aim. Heck my dad has been around guns since he was a kid and he even believed that. I had to convince him he was wrong. I know exactly how mine will perform. Unless something catastrophic happens.http://youtu.be/5oDG2i6rwjU I don't know how to embed videos directly into the post so here is a link. Tnoutdoors9 on YouTube made a video with Remington sluggers into jugs of water and a block of sim test gel. I have never seen a block of gel flop around like that. Check it out for yourself.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
holy sh**t .. 1 oz copper slugs is an armour piercing round .. that would NOT be good for home defense.
seems to me you'd want low threat of unwanted collateral damage.

no expansion in this test

I recall reading the copper slugs are used in maritime operations.

"When necessary, the flares are replaced in the shotgun’s breech with copper sabot slugs, a type of round found to be effective at penetrating fiberglass hulls and cowlings to reach the engine blocks they contain. Once disabled or otherwise stopped, the officers quickly pull alongside the suspect vessel, where they cross over the gunnels and begin directing the suspects into a handcuffing position."

http://www.tactical-life.com/firear...m-maritime-patrol-12-gauge-shotgun-_-review-1

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is 3 Razorback XT 00 from 16`......I like `em so far.

i.imgur.com_uS3p74b.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom