Have You Patterned Your Home Defense Shotgun Yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you patterned your shotgun?

• Yes ... Always pattern my Shotty. I know exactly what I'm going to hit at what distance

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • No ... Never pattern my Shotty. scatterguns only require being pointed in general direction

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • What's a pattern?

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No... But I will

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What is the longest hallway in your house?

8 yards = 24 feet Not very far, but inside a house it is probably the longest range you will have if the unthinkable ever happens.

I'm quite aware of this.

I was just curious if that's why he chose 8 yards, or if it was arbitrary.

I'll probably check mine at 10yds.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
00 buck patterns at about 3" at 15 ft.

for those of you that think this evaluation is funny, i had a student, girl, that bought a HD shotgun from a big chain store, clerk said, 'its a shotgun, just point it in the general direction and fire, do not worry about aimming.' She asked if this were true. So we shot her gun at 15 ft and low and behold the pattern with 00 buck was 3".

Moral of story is that some people are getting bad info.

with a 3" pattern, similiar to aiming with a gun, may make a nasty wound on the exterior of the torso but the bad guy will still be alive and can kill you. you better take the time to AIM to center of mass IMO.

as for shooting the bad guy with #8 birdshot and then following up with buckshot, who says you will get the follow up shot.

Unlicensed_Dremel

New to the site!
Reaction score
Sad to say that I have not; I'm in the "I need to" camp for sure. But with Federal Flight Control wadded ammo, I feel fairly comfortable at the moment, given the short distances across rooms in the house.... this place looks like a good place to hang out, with smart people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom