"Healthy Food" questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nowadays I only care about 2 things when it comes to food: Hormone disruptors and seed oils. Mega AG companies like ADM and ConAgra have really screwed over the country by pushing for certain low quality ag products to be put into a lot of foods we buy.

If you avoid buying products that contain soy, TVP, canola oil, and cottonseedoil, you'll discover that you're buying from brands that are actually trying to make food instead of "food products" (like what the mega AG companies churn out).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We basically stay away from processed foods. Everything fresh or dragged out of the woods and processed by me.
I started having some gastro issues. Went to a cup of Activia yogurt every morning for breakfast along with some medical care at the VA and the issues are gone, but I'm sticking with the Yogurt. The probiotics have really changed my system for the better.
We've seen lots of dramatic weight loss from folks using the low carb diet and they remain healthy.
One of the ladies has lost over 50 lbs. Her husband pisses me off. He has to eat about 6 times a day and is as thin as a rail.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need your advice, everyone, on the issue of "healthy vs unhealthy" foods.

Someone told me there are no healthy or unhealthy foods, it is all in the individual's diet and metabolism and other factors.

1 Is there a real difference between organic and non organic food or is this more of a marketing scam?
2 If a person loves pasta and foods with alot of carbohydrates but cannot eat them because of health dangers, what are some good alternatives?
3 Some people claim the nitrites and nitrates in processed meats like hotdogs, sausages, bacon, and other meats are very bad for human health and can even
cause cancer and other diseases. Is that true or false?
1. I was at one of the chain natural food place and watched the stocker take veggies out of a box. If they looked perfect, he put an organic sticker on. If bruised or ugly, he put them in the regular bin.

2 &3 Had a stroke Aug 26th diagnosed supposedly with diabetes. No pasta, No red meat, No processed meat.
Takes the fun out of life. now there's a chicken and turkey shortage!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have needed to loose weight a couple times in life. First time when I was 29yo and found I had high BP (Still taking light meds for it over 40 yr later). I was not eating healthy at that time, too much fast food and processed food. A crusty old Dr. said, "You need to loose at least 10 lbs. You can do that by getting off the grains of any kind. Your body does not know what to do with them, so they are turned into fat. Do that and make an appointment in 30 days and let's see if you can pass a FAA physical." It was hard stopping by Micky D's ordering a Double Whopper, eating the center out and throwing away the buns, no pizza crust, no spaghetti, no hot rolls, no sandwiches, and stuff like that. I did not change anything else and lost 12lbs in 30 days. When you walk into a grocery store take a look, half the items have grains of some kind in them including many processed foods, all the way down to the cans of soup. Grains are fillers.

Yep, now I do eat more healthy, but when I start getting a little pudgy, I just back off the grains, mostly bread and buns it slowly takes care of it. Just my experiences.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Low carb, no processed foods(if it comes in a box for convenience), no processed sugars, no fast food(we still eat out, just skip do so at sit down restaurants and order low carb items) and I can guarantee you'll feel better and you'll lose weight. I was a amazed at how much less joint pain I had even, let alone the weight loss. I'll always be Type 1 Diabetic as I produce zero insulin, but since I did all those things listed above it's made a world of difference. Eating small several times a day rather than 2 or 3 times large will make a difference too.

Organic vs non-organic...zero difference in health benefits. Same with GMO vs non GMO.

Nitrates...moderation. Eating bacon and sausage is healthier than processed hotdogs and hamburger patties though. Nitrates are low on my concern list.

Stay away from all pasta period. Cook a prepare a spaghetti squash instead.

If you live in California everything will give you cancer, they have labels on everything to tell you that. I've eaten non-organic my whole life, I eat GMO plant based products, I spray and have sprayed Roundup by the tens of thousands of gallons per year for the last 14 years(as well as other ag chemicals buy not Paraquat). As of yet, the only cancer I've gotten was caused by the sun, right on the tip of my nose lol.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We all know cokes are bad for us, yet folks drink it like its water. I admit I drink them at work, but not at home. Its mostly water at home, some beer, but no cokes in the house.

Keto put me in the ER with kidney stones, ya I lost a lot of weight, but the doc told me, for some folks, high protein low carb and lots of black coffee are not good combinations and I was one of them

Latest posts

Top Bottom