Helio Hog Hunting !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What some people don't realize is there is a world of difference between SPORT hunting and DEPREDATION hunting, and they often get the two confused. Helicopter hunting IS NOT sport hunting rather it is depredation hunting, and some people are willing to PAY for the right to go on a depredation hunt. I believe this is why others confuse it for sport hunting.

Why on earth someone would pay to go depredation hunting is beyond me. Depredation hunting is really just killing at all costs and by any means possible because the species in question NEEDS to be rid of! You are not hunting this animal for any resource it can provide, but rather to simply kill it and leave it lay. You are killing because you have to, or in other words killing because that is what needs to be done!

I will say this, not everyone is cut out for this type of "work", and thats really what it is "work"! Its not a hobby or a past time, its work. You kill all you can or all you need to in order to accomplish your "goal", throw the animals in the dumpster and walk away. Not everyone can handle that but often thats exactly what has to be done in order to protect natural reasources, people's livelyhood, and in some instances people lives!

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was stationed in West Berlin from April 66 to July 69. The pigs would get over populated in Berlin and would start to come out of the forest and get into peoples yards and gardens. I understand that they had a taste for small dogs, you don't mess with a German's dog. The German Polizei would have a drive hunt using machine guns to kill the pigs. They would have decided before the hunt how many would be destroyed and would stop killing them when that number was reached. The animals were field dressed and the meat was used in state institutions such as orphanages and prisons. You could go to one of the highest points in West Berlin (Teufelsberg) at night and watch flares being set off by herds of pigs in the wooded areas, stumbling into secure areas along the Berlin Wall.

So as far as being a "sport" animal, they cause too much destruction, carry too many diseases and are to dangerous to not keep the population down by any means. They just happen to be edible to some people and to others they are vermin to be disposed of as humanely as possible and leave for the scavengers to dispose of. I am not one to waste resources, but with the diseases a wild pig can be carrying I am not sure I would want to field dress one and cut it up into usable meat. I will say this, that I had an excellent meal in a restaurant in Berlin about 10 years ago of wild boar roast, the Germans do know how to cook wild game.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Okla Dept of wildlife does Helicopter fly overs to eradicate hogs.
They have done two on Kaw lake this year. 120 on the first go around, and I haven't got a total on the second from a week or so ago.
they are an invasive specie. I'd sure like to see them go away, but its not going to happen.
According to OSU, hunting them is a waste of time if anybody thinks that is going to eradicate them. Conventional traps like Roos007 work well, but the drop traps can get a whole sounder in one shot.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?170831-Feral-hogs-in-OK

Latest posts

Top Bottom