hello

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all welcome to okshooters! If funds permit, you might consider purchasing a full size handgun to learn to shoot with. While it is important to train with the gun you will eventually carry, a full size weapon will be easier to begin with. Once you are well on your way to becoming an expert marksman, you can then move into a compact or subcompact handgun for concealed carry.

If funds do not allow the purchase of two weapons, I suggest a medium size frame (compact) weapon to bridge the size gap. For example, my first weapon was a Glock 23 (not the biggest Glock and not the smallest). It was big enough for me practice comfortably, shoot local IDPA matches, and still small enough to carry concealed. years later I have numerous handguns, but if I were buying my first weapon again today, and only had money for one, it would be a Glock 23 (I don't have big hands either). I am also a fan of the Springfield XDM which has interchangeable back straps on the grip. These are just two guns that I feel are dependable and a great, great value for the price. Listen to all the opinions offered and shoot everything you can for yourself. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.....best of luck!

Mrs. Bookworm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to my handgun as well. Luckily I work with a guy who is a huge gun fanatic, and he brought me a bunch of different guns to try out. I also went to H&H and shot a couple of other models. I ended up buying a Magnum Research .40 S&W Baby Eagle. I never shot it before I bought it, but I handled it in store and fell in love immediately. No other guns I handled/shot felt quite as right as that baby eagle.

My husband did tons of research to figure out what he wanted. He shot it, tested it out and bought it (XD 45). We both got our first guns together. We've had our guns about 9 months now, and after shooting both guns numerous times, he keeps trying to steal my baby eagle.

My hands are fairly small as well, and since I traded out the factory grips for some custom ones it feels awesome. It is very comfortable to shoot, and the recoil is minimum. It's the steel version (no plastic) so that helps.

Just my two cents. :twocents:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good opportunity to try out different guns is to hook up with the Fat Guy Shooting Team in OKC. I'm sure that they will be more than happy to let you handle and shoot their assortment of guns.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA and the wonderful world of shooting.

You have come to a good place for advice. Not only do you want to read all you can, but as someone else suggested, get some firearms training. That will not only assist you in choosing a weapon, but it will also give you confidence and the knowledge to shoot it effectively and accurately.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom