Question regarding ammo at gun ranges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KipK

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To begin with I have an ar15 556/223.
I am wanting to go to a local (OKC/Edmond) area gun range. I am having difficulty understanding what is not allowed. I am confused with magnet reaction, full metal jacket, lead/metal core, and green tip being lead core. I've looked up several local gun range sites and ammo sites and it's causing my head swim.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kip

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To begin with I have an ar15 556/223.
I am wanting to go to a local (OKC/Edmond) area gun range. I am having difficulty understanding what is not allowed. I am confused with magnet reaction, full metal jacket, lead/metal core, and green tip being lead core. I've looked up several local gun range sites and ammo sites and it's causing my head swim.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kip
Green tip has a steel penetrator in it and is thus magnetic. They also don't want steel cased rounds (sometimes aluminum too). Edit: You looking at Wilshire?

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fire risk is the stated reason. On the casing, it's also stated as fire risk but is probably because they sell the brass.
I always thought this was B.S. until I witnessed a powder fire at an indoor range. Unburned powder adds up little by little in the cracks of the concrete floor until a spark finds it. I think steel jackets cause more sparks out of the muzzle possibly?

KipK

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't this week because I have all day tests at OK Heart Hosp Friday. My days free are Wed, Fri, and Saturdays. That sounds great!

Latest posts

Top Bottom