Help...AR barrel specs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has it got standard handguards on it? You can pull those off and see if there's anything under, like MMC said. FH is flash hider...correct term is actually flash suppressor... ;)

To get the handguards off, you pull on the ring that's right in front of where the barrel and upper receiver come together. They can be kind of tough to get on and off.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted the same question and pics on AR15.com and was pointed to a website that had barrels and the exact FH...said they came as a combo, and that the barrels were specifically cut for those FH.

Fister

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? I thought Bushmaster made a couple of models with Chrome Moly barrels

Yes they do, you are right. They are the Preadator and Varmiter models. *All 16" barrels will have a chrome bore and chamber.

Sorry I was stuck in his barrel mindframe and not giving due consideration to the rest of their product line.

ETA yeah thats an olympic barrel. It will have a machined recess in the barrel before the end then it will step back to full profile. The recess is where the pins, screws are installed and pinned into place. Then it is welded over. The barrel can have the muzzle brake removed but you will still need someone to turn it on a lathe with centers for the thread job. That is unless its not a true olympic barrel and their muzzle brake was used because it was available. This too happens. In which case it will be a threaded barrel and it will be pinned and welded into place.

The easiest way to remove that brake would be to chuck it into a lathe and turn the OD of the brake down until the brake falls off and the pins fall out. Not knowing exactly who manufactured it I would do it this way. If it was a threaded barrel this will allow you to save what is left of the threads and clean them up afterwards for installation of a new flash suppressor without having to cut the barrel back and do a full blow recrown and thread job.

If it is an olympic it should be marked somewhere on the barrel. Look just in front of the barrel nut. There should be some markings there indicating the barrel type they used and its twist rate. With any luck you have a blackend stainless barrel. It will have a SS stamped into it. Their stainless barrels are good barrels. IMHO

Latest posts

Top Bottom