help for public deer hunting spot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadkill33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here is the deal I'm taking a buddy deer hunting next weekend. He has never been hunting before. we are in the broken arrow area and would like to go somewhere close. We would also like somewhere not packed with a lot of hunters. I really don't know where to go here because I normally hunt in Kansas. Can any one help?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going on public land, you are going to be sharing it with a bunch of other hunters unless you go during the week. Try Keystone or Kaw.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be prepared for company anywhere on public land. There are a lot of places to choose from though. Get on the Oklahoma Wildlife Department website wildlifedepartment.com and check out the various WMA maps. Most importantly, get out there and do some scouting. Good luck!

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Public land is normally pretty good. The trick is to go deeper into the property than most people will. The public area that I hunt every once in a while, I set a mile in as a crow would fly. Most people won't go that far. They just set up on the first field they come to and push the deer to you! Good luck!

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might look into the McCellan-Kerr nagigation system. Whem I lived in Tulsa I found it to be light on pressure. I had a boat so would get to some areas that were not accessible any other way.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been hunting waterfowl over there the past couple of days, and there were a lot of deer hunters. Saw numerous trucks parked along the WMA and a lot of orange. Didn't hear many shots though.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the Tulsa Area, I would suggest Keystone, Heyburn, Gruber/Cherokee, or Okmulgee. They're all about an hour from you. Gruber has some special regulations that you have to deal with about finding unexploded ordnance while you're hunting, but it isn't hard to take care of. Like has been previoiusly said, you'll have company on any public place on the weekends. During the week it isn't as crowded. Good luck.

toe

Latest posts

Top Bottom