Help Id'ing a rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend wants to sell me a rifle and we can't figure out what it is worth, It says "savage .22 hs l. lr. and somewhere else on the barrel it is marked springfield. Also the model # is 187H i don't have the rifle with me so I am relying on my memory from last night's phone conversation. Any help would be appriciated.
I could not find anything in the blue book about the gun either?
Thanks alot!

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

okie headhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
a good id referance is nunrich parts web sight or catalog and the gundigest takedown books. they list guns by there manufactors. I would bet that the s l lr stands for short,long and long rifle.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes on the oldies hs stood for high speed. The markings here MAY mean high speed long and long rifle. Much of the time the auto loaders would not take shorts but would feed longs and long rifles. The single shots as well as bolt and lever repeaters would feed anything.

okie headhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
good point ,I had forgoten that. it sure seem that in todays guns the long rifle's have taken over. I remember as a kid about all we ever hunted with were shorts because they were cheaper now when you can fid them there 3 times the price of long rifles.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did help a guy with an old Remington 550 autoloader that would shoot anything due to the floating chamber.....but that was about the only autoloader from the time frame of his old Springfield/Savage. Yeah....longs are hard to find. Seems I see shorts and even CB caps more often than longs.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's a springfield savage model 187. i have one too. shoots s l lr.

it's basically one of those $100 guns with average condition. it'll never bring more than $150.

Latest posts

Top Bottom